Replaced Well Tank and now funny pump start

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil S

Reaction score
OK I just moved my well tank and replaced it with another bladder tank of the same size.
I moved the tank to within 3 ft of the inlet from the well coming through the basement wall. The old tank was about 25ft across the basement where a previous pipe came through from across the street. Old farmstead with a well house now split into two properties.
I installed a check valve between the black tube coming from the well and the T on the well tank. This is the only difference from the previous system other than it looks much nicer and cleaner!
When the water pressure drops, the switch clicks and it takes a couple seconds then the pump kicks on, the gauge jumps a bit then pumps as normal. Takes about a minute to hit 50 psi. Could the check valve be causing this weird startup?
Pump is a 2 wire and seems to be working fine.

Also would a new tank make the water smell from the rubber bladder for a few days?

Thanks so much,

Phil

Reach4

Reaction score
Check the air precharge in the tank. I think you will want to lower the precharge pressure in the tank, or you will want to raise the pressure for which the pump turns on. Normally you set the precharge on the tank 2 PSI lower, but if your water takes longer to get there, you might increase the differential a tiny bit.

Precharge is measured with the pump off and the pressure tank totally empty of water.

I don't know about the smell.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure switch clicks, gauge jumps then water. Leads me to think the check valve on the pump is leaking.

I've never had anyone complain about smelly water after changing tanks unless an older style hydropnuematic was removed and a bladder or diaphram style was installed in its place. Is it an off brand, Home Depot or Blowes unit?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks