Replaced Gerber shower stems with ceramics....no water flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

tomzpc

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this place and looking for some help.

Replaced some old Gerber shower stems today. The stems came out with a little effort but no damage to the pipe threads. The seats were worn and corroded. I was able to take the cold one out with a 90 degree seat wrench/removal tool. The hot water seat stripped but I was able to get it out with a large flathead screwdriver tapped into in and then twisted. I a little brute force but it finally unscrewed.

I had purchased ceramic replacement stems that I was told would work for me without the need for seats. I cleaned out the pipe threads and then screwed in the new ceramic stems. Turned the water back on and no leaks...which was awesome. Now the problem...I opened the 1/2 turn ceramic stems for both the cold and hot water and nothing from the shower.

Pictures show Gerber hot and cold water pipe, new gerber ceramic stems installed, old removed corroded valve stem and seat.

Replacement stems are Gerber 0098705 and 0098709. Was confident they were correct ones based on research and purchased online.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Assuming something really dumb!

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cartridges you got may not be the right ones for your faucet.
You need to install the exact same ones as your old ones plus new seats, to fit your in-wall rough in.
Can you post a clear pic of the inside of the rough in - shine a light into where the cartridge goes in and snap a pic.

tomzpc

Reaction score
Check to see if your showerhead isnt plugged up. Take it off and try. Are they identical to the old ones
This was it! It was flowing free prior to the stem replacement so removing the old stems and seats was enough to dislodge enough debris to plug the showerhead. Wish I had tried it before removing and replacing the new ceramic stems again.

tomzpc

Reaction score
The cartridges you got may not be the right ones for your faucet.
You need to install the exact same ones as your old ones plus new seats, to fit your in-wall rough in.
Can you post a clear pic of the inside of the rough in - shine a light into where the cartridge goes in and snap a pic.
The seats have to removed to use the Gerber ceramic replacements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks