Replaced flapper but tank still leaking slightly into bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

stephatomsoft

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake II (ST454E) from 2011. Because water had been leaking from tank to bowl, I replaced the flapper, using the Korky "Universal Flapper" (2023 BP). This greatly reduced the leakage so we no longer hear spontaneous refilling, yet dye in the tank still shows up in the bowl.

Toto tech support says to now order their ~$26 "tower type flush valve" (THU445.10F-A) and install it. So did I make a mistake in installing the Korky "Universal Flapper" that's supposedly compatible with this toilet?

And I hear of flapper "seats" or "seals," so could I fix this problem with one of those (much cheaper) instead, and if so, which one would match this toilet and flapper?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the water to the toilet with the stop valve. Does the water level continue to fall below 3/4 inch from overflow top, or does it stop? If it stops, the flapper+seat is not the problem. Water can siphon out causing the fill valve to cycle. Siphoning can be cured easily.

Use a cloth to wipe the seat free of any material. Feel the seat. Any imperfection felt?

Does the chain pull pretty much straight up, or does it apply a side force?

Is there tension on the chain, or is there a bit of slack?

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Slomoola

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake II (ST454E) from 2011. Because water had been leaking from tank to bowl, I replaced the flapper, using the Korky "Universal Flapper" (2023 BP). This greatly reduced the leakage so we no longer hear spontaneous refilling, yet dye in the tank still shows up in the bowl.

Toto tech support says to now order their ~$26 "tower type flush valve" (THU445.10F-A) and install it. So did I make a mistake in installing the Korky "Universal Flapper" that's supposedly compatible with this toilet?

And I hear of flapper "seats" or "seals," so could I fix this problem with one of those (much cheaper) instead, and if so, which one would match this toilet and flapper?

Thank you.

Best to stay away from those Korky type "universal" repair kits. Buy the genuine Toto parts and never look back.

famattjr

Reaction score
Best to stay away from those Korky type "universal" repair kits. Buy the genuine Toto parts and never look back.
Toto does not make their parts, Lavelle Industries owns Korky and makes all the Toto flappers that come with the toilets and also the replacement flappers, whether they bear the Toto or the Korky name. This has been told to me by the people at the Toto support site.

famattjr

Reaction score
So, I just got 11 months out of my last replacement Korky flapper model #2023 BP labeled "Genuine Toto Universal Flapper" that Toto recommends. Did not use any drop-in cleaners in tank or other chemicals. Cleaned off the flapper and flush valve surface with a cloth, no help, several times turned off toilet shut off and tank level dropped, fill valve doing phantom fills when the toilet was on. This is a 3 inch valve. So tried the Fluidmaster #5403 "Universal 3" Adjustable Water Saver Flapper," online for $11.89, some have complained they got it with the silicone ring bubbled but mine was fine. Just feels like a more substantial, firm flapper. Did the trick. Better flush also. No matter what I did with the chain could not get a real good flush with the Korky without holding the handle for a second more. With the Fluidmaster with a normal handle push get a stronger flush. Fluidmaster all the way now despite what Toto says. We will see how long it lasts. What's funny also is that of course Toto uses and recommends Korky fill valves but all the plumbers I know around here (NJ) use Fluidmaster valves, maybe they get deals on them or maybe just don't feel like stocking 2 different kinds in their trucks.
Flush valve: THU0001Z Toilet: MS864114, Supreme

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Plumbers use the Fluidmaster because it's what they're used to and because it's made in Mexico it's cheaper. And it's a lot harder for the average homeowner to fix themself.

Other plumbers like and use the Korky because they can instruct a client over the phone how to fix it by replacing that little cap, and not have to make a trip or charge the client $100.

That plumbers use it says very little about its relative merits. The Korky is quieter, if that's an important factor to the customer. The Korky's variable-refill adjustment is far superior to the Fluidmaster's. Many plumbers will just install a Fluidmaster and run it wide open on the refill even if it wastes a lot of water by overfilling the bowl (which will just run slowly down the drain), because they like the Fluidmaster and figure the homeowner won't know or won't care about the wasted water.

However, they're both fine fill valves.

As to the flapper, your mileage will vary. I have had that very same flapper in some of my Totos for like 6 years now, no problem. I tried that Fluidmaster at one point just for kicks, and disliked it. Right back to the Korky.

Oh, and if it matters, most plumbers who will install a Fluidmaster fill valve 100 percent of the time will install a Korky flapper 100 percent of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks