Replaced damaged water heater elements

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With an electric water heater, the top element heats the water first, and when the thermostat senses that it has reached the preset, the power then diverts to the bottom element. When the element is heating I can hear it humming with my ear pressed against the water heater.
Electric water heats will heat 25 gallons in an hour.

Reaction score
With an electric water heater, the top element heats the water first, and when the thermostat senses that it has reached the preset, the power then diverts to the bottom element. When the element is heating I can hear it humming with my ear pressed against the water heater.
Electric water heats will heat 25 gallons in an hour.
No sound coming from the unit. Not sure the issue

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might want to look up the wiring diagram using the model number and the year, and make sure that is right.
And I'm guessing the two 30 amp breakers are on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Have you pressed the red reset button on the to thermostat?

wh-reset-button.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phog

Reaction score
Did you let the tank fill 100% with water, with absolutely no air remaining at the top, before turning the breaker back on? It's easy to burn out an element, it only takes a few seconds when not submerged. Even opening the inlet valve to the water heater and waiting until the water inrush stops isn't always enough to submerge the upper element, you can still have trapped air. You need to open a hot faucet somewhere and wait until the hissing & spitting stops before turning the breaker on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks