Replaced all the parts but toilet still leaks....I need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

cruzmisl

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 10 yr old Kohler, Finial (I believe) 1.5g flush toilet. Recently I noticed I could hear a trickle of water when it was idle so I replaced the fill valve and the flapper thinking it was one of the two. It still leaked into the bowl after I replaced those parts. I thought that it may be the overflow pipe, maybe the seat was worn or pitted, so I replaced it but it still slowly leaks. I'm out of parts to replace and ideas. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Joe

PS I used a Fluidmaster valve and a Moen overflow tube/flapper. The tube and flapper came as a kit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fm

Would I be correct in assuming when you installed the Fluidmaster, you threw away the white or black plastic elbow and stuck the refill tube into the small opening on top of the overflow pipe? If so you probably stuck it so far down that it is siphoning water out of the tank after it is done filling and then has to turn back on to refill the tank, and so on ad infinitum.

cruzmisl

Reaction score
No, I have the piece securely mounted to the edge of the overflow tube and the hose attached.

Micp879

Reaction score
If the flapper didnt solve the problem, then I wouldve guessed the flapper seat/flush valve wouldve been the culprit, but you said you replaced that. My only other guess would be to maybe change out the "bowl to tank" gasket.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you have changed the flapper, flush valve, & fill valve and it is still leaking from the tank to the bowl then you have done something wrong.
You have replaced everything that it could be....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would try replacing the flapper with a Korky Brand flapper and check the flapper seat for mineral buildup.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

I assume this is a two piece toilet with a separate tank. If not, some one piece toilets can develop small cracks in the tank which allow water to leak out.

cruzmisl

Reaction score
Yes, Iit is a two piece. I tried two different flappers and fill tubes and it still leaks. Could it be the fill valve? I could try the old one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fill valve won't leak into the tank unless it is an unconventional toilet. Having the hose from the valve sitting too low into the overflow pipe can siphon water out causing the toilet to run to refill the tank, though. Make sure to use the clip for the hose -- it can't be lower than the water level, and should be above it some.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Water can ONLY leak out of the tank through the flapper, or through the overflow pipe. If it is the overflow and the water is not going over the top, then it may be cracked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks