Replace well pump before it fails?

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
My residential well pump is 28 years old, original to the construction of the house. It's a goulds 1/2hp submersible, 10GPM pump. Is there any good reason not to replace the pump within the next year? It's operating just fine right now, but my reasoning is that it's had a good life and I can schedule the replacement on my own time, instead of scrambling. These pumps dont typically last much longer than this right?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
1/2 hp 10gpm can build around 95psi max (goulds pump performance chart to double check). Pressure testing your submersible pump at the top of the well for max pressure the pump can build by itself and looking at the amperage draw on the motor will tell what you want to know. Testing your wires going to submersible motor would be recommend as well.

What pressure tank brand do you have and what size is your tank. Is your submersible pump a 3-wire motor with a control box?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Seven years is the average life of a submersible. But that doesn't mean you can't get 40 years. Any pump you purchase today will not be as good a quality as the one from 28 years ago. So installing a new pump doesn't guarantee you will get a year, much less another 28 years. It is nice to be able to replace a pump on your time schedule, but that rarely works out. New pump or old, it will always go out at the most inopportune time. My rule is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A backup supply or method is a good idea as any pump (new or old) is most likely to quit you on Thanksgiving or New Years day.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that a two wire (no control box) or three wire pump with a control box? If 3 wire, you could replace the capacitor, since those are known to age. Most 1/2 HP submersible pumps are 2-wire, but not all.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the past year I've pulled quite a few Goulds pumps that were installed in the '70's. Yours might last 5 days, 5 months or 5 yrs, but I'd run it until it dies.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've heard that 7 years line before and it's garbage to me. I would schedule the replacement but just make sure your well guys use quality parts.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I've heard that 7 years line before and it's garbage to me. I would schedule the replacement but just make sure your well guys use quality parts.

For you I am sure 7 years is not accurate. But for every one you had last 30 years, there is another somewhere that didn't last 30 days. Put all the warranties and all the pumps sold at box stores together and I will bet 7 years is too long for an average. If pumps average life was longer than 7 years, pump manufacturers would cheapen them up even more. I have heard from several pump engineers that 7 years is the design life, and from my experience they are pretty good at making that happen.

Atomic1

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Think its worth having a quality pump on hand instead? Hate to force a plumber to use a part he didn't necessarily source though

Reach4

Reaction score
There can be more than the pump to consider. Post a picture of your well head. What do you know about the pitless, if there is one?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Franklin Motor and Goulds pump worked just fine for you.

I wouldn't store the submersible pump in a place where it can get really hot and really cold for the loss of motor fluid. Unless you know how to put the motor fluid back into motor before you use it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Cary is right about big box store pumps only lasting 7 yrs, especially when you consider that the typical homeowner doesn't have the experience/knowledge/proper equipment to do the job in the first place and is getting advise from a salesperson who sold shoes last week.... Then there is the perception that somehow a $278.00 plastic pos pump is as good as a top of the line stainless unit for 3x the money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks