Replace washer drain hose

Users who are viewing this thread

DeniseB

Reaction score
I bought a new washer/dryer and am awaiting installation. The vendor required that I purchase new braided steel fill hoses and dryer vent, but not a new drain hose. The old machine is probably about 10 years old. Should I have the drain hose replaced? If so, are there different kinds to choose from?

I paid for installation but it doesn't say anything about replacing the drain hose, so I don't know if they'll do it or if I'll have to have someone else do it.

I'm in a 3rd floor apartment, so a leak would be really bad. The drain hose goes into the wall.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The drain hose has no "constant water pressure" on it so it is not under as much stress as the water supply hoses. Also you don't have to worry about the drain line busting open while your away from home and flooding your house (but it could break during the draining operation and make a mess). It's not a bad idea to replace it while the washer is out and you can get to it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a drain hose normally comes with the washing machine.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At one time both drain and water supply hoses did come with all washing machines. Because of cost (as usual), the fill hoses are no longer supplied but must be bought separately. However, the supplied hoses were rubber only and over time would burst from drying out. Also some locations, such as apartments and multi floor condo's require steel braided hoses because of the tremendous cost every year insurance companies laid out for water damage from above. Drains hoses are still packaged with the machine since every manufacture has a slightly different configuration and connection to the machine.
For dryer hoses many installations have the plastic hoses that should only be use for bathroom fans. Here again, if a store offers installation then the liability falls on them when the plastic catches fire. All dry hoses must be of non flammable material usually aluminum or steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks