Replace vs. add main water line valve

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeCO

Reaction score
Our main water valve is an old gate valve, which has been annoying to use when we need to shut off our main water supply. I'd like to replace it with a ball valve and was trying to decide which approach would be better:

- Replace entirely (would need to get the water shut off at the street)
- Add a gate valve immediately downstream (would allow me to add a better valve without turning the water off at the street since I could turn off the gate valve)

Is one approach more preferred than the other? Would replacing the valve entirely potentially improve the flow and/or pressure?

gatevalve.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
You can add a ball valve but use a full port b valve. When a the store just compare the port size between a standard and full.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would opt for the new valve downstream of the other valve for the reason you stated. I am not a plumber.

Planning on soldering, compression, or SharkBite?

SharkBite 24736LF would be easiest, but would not be full port. If you do one, and want to change later, you could.

Sioux Chief 600-G304CV is full-port compression, so you would not need to solder.

Webstone 40633W is also full-port compression.

Last edited:

MikeCO

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the difference between full & standard port. I would probably lean towards compression or solder vs. Sharkbite. Maybe a slight preference for compression so I don't have to deal with the water in the pipes making the soldering harder. That Sioux City one could be nice if I did want to replace the gate valve since I wouldn't have to worry about cutting directly up against the existing valve to keep the gap for the new valve without adding pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks