Replace Toilet Fill Valve Attached to Rigid Fill Line

Users who are viewing this thread

edjerum

Reaction score
I need to replace a leaking valve, but the lines it attaches to are rigid so I'm having trouble getting it off. Would appreciate comments on how to proceed.
IMG_0112.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. Here is what I think, but you might wait for better info:

Turn off the main water, and open your lowest cold faucet to drain as best you can. Have towels around for leaks.

Undo the top nut while holding the valve body with another wrench. It might be easier to hold the body if you remove the knob by taking out the Phillips screw. Pull the nut up the pipe.

I am hoping that you can then lift the bottom of the pipe out of the valve and to the side a tab. If you can't stop and get more info.

If the pipe is to the side, hold the nut just above the escutcheon with a wrench. Turn the valve body CCW. I am hoping you that works well. Once you get the valve off, take that valve to your plumbing store. Get an equivalent quarter-turn ball valve. They are much more robust.

If things seem odd at any point, come check back. If things look different by that point, post a new picture.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some prefer the rigid supply line over a flexible hose.

If the leak you're worried about is between the valve and the chrome tubing, just try tightening the nut around it by say 1/8-1/4 turn or so.

If you want to replace the valve, then what may be the easiest if you don't want to also replace the chrome tubing, is to first flush the toilet and hold the handle down until as much water as possible is emptied from the tank. Then, sponge out what's left. Then, loosen the nut to the chrome supply pipe at the toilet fill valve on the bottom, then the nut holding the fill valve into the toilet. Once you've done that, you can lift out the toilet fill valve, then will have all the room you need to lift the chrome supply line out of the existing valve. Then, you can replace any parts you want. Note, the gasket on the bottom of the toilet fill valve may also need to be replaced once you loosen it, but probably not. Hard to say for sure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me you're too concerned about saving that tubing. These are not used so much now days, there are flexible hoses that come in various lengths that are much easier to install. If this was mine, after I drained the toilet tank and shut the water supply off, I unscrew the tube from the valve and the fill valve, then rip the tube off. Replace the valve with a compression fit 1/4 turn, put the new hose on and have a beer. If it was mine.

edjerum

Reaction score
Seems to me you're too concerned about saving that tubing. These are not used so much now days, there are flexible hoses that come in various lengths that are much easier to install. If this was mine, after I drained the toilet tank and shut the water supply off, I unscrew the tube from the valve and the fill valve, then rip the tube off. Replace the valve with a compression fit 1/4 turn, put the new hose on and have a beer. If it was mine.
I went with this approach.

Was too much effort to try to salvage the Brass valve and tubing. Looked nice and matched the color of the sink faucet but time to move on.

Thx so much for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks