Replace sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Kumudu Suriya

Reaction score
I am planning to replace the basement sump pump.
Should I cut all the pipes to take it out or is there any other way to do it.

PXL_20211003_141603487.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking at the wye there before the check valve, you might have two pumps.
Normally I see couplings that can be removed for removal and replacement, but not so much on yours. Yes, pretty much cut and then rebuild.
I see that the water heater drain pan dumps into the pit. This is for sewage isn't it. If so, there is nothing to prevent the smells from entering the home by way of the drain pan drain. I suppose not much, but some.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you rebuild it, if you use banded couplings on each of the pipes, you should be able to remove them, and then take things apart without having to rebuild. As to the actual connection to the pump(s?), if those are different, you may need to rebuild that smaller section. The rubber sleeves you have there may have some noise isolation benefits, but they can allow the pipes to shift whereas the banded couplings hold the pipe ends in perfect alignment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks