Replace steel well pipe with PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Jaenisch

Reaction score
I currently have a 2" well at my shop. It hasn't been used in over 10 years (building burnt down but I recently built new). I replaced the pump (on top, not submerged) and primed the heck out of it but could not get it to engage. A friend who worked in the well industry for years said the pickup screen was plugged at the bottom, probably scale build up due to lack of use. I was told it only goes down 36' and have always gotten very nice clean water from it in the past. I would need to remove the ceiling in its enclosure to pull all the pipe up. I was told to pull the pipe ( cutting it off periodically as to not have to remove the roof) and replace it with PVC. Is this the way to go?

Attachments

• 20190616_092737.jpg
    20190616_092737.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 275

Jeff Jaenisch

Reaction score
Alright, so the well was put in almost45 years ago. We found out today that we went down 72' to the check valve so the well is alot deeper than what I was told. We did try blowing out on the return side and a few things like that. I even bought a new pump thinking there was a chance that was the problem. No luck. I am to the point now where I am going to pull the inner pipe. Either it is plugged or there is a hole in it. I was told now that due to it being alot deeper than originally thought that I should replace it with metal galvanized pipe. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Alright, so the well was put in almost45 years ago. We found out today that we went down 72' to the check valve so the well is alot deeper than what I was told.
That is the packer system.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks