Replace/repair chrome toilet shut-off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Artm69

Reaction score
I have a toilet shutoff valve as shown in the pic. It has threads onto the pipe, a few visible at the junction. I thought it was chrome plated copper but I'm unsure now, could be chrome plated brass? It's not a chrome sleeve over pipe.

Problem is the knob (long broken) will not come off, turning it all the way does not turn off the water.

It's super tight so I don't see how to hold the pipe correctly and not bend it to turn the valve. I can cut it out but I fear that a standard compression valve may not fit because of the potential bigger diameter from the plating.

So, I'm willing to try removing the stem but is the rebuild kit the same for all of these?

Any advice appreciated.

toilet-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We typically just replace the angle stop with a quarter turn modern angle stop. Preferrably with a stainless steel ball. Avoid plastic ball angle stops.
Preferred size is 1/2" ips x 3/8" compression on the flex side. It is recommended to replace the flex line when doing a change.
The pipe is held stable with a pipe wrench, and crescent type wrench on the angle stop.

Artm69

Reaction score
I have a shower pipe to compare to the toilet pipe:

shower circ/dia: 53mm, 0.664"
toilet pipe circ/dia: 62mm, 0.777"

These measurements were taken by wrapping a strip of paper around each and noting the circumference. It's the best I could do.

Does this still suggest a 3/8" nipple? Should I look for a 3/8" threaded valve, like the old one?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
OD of the nipple: A nominal 3/8 nipple will be 0.675 inch OD.
2.12 inch circumference or 53.86 mm.

A half inch nipple is 0.84 OD.
2.639 inch around, which is 67.03 mm.

When you say "shower pipe", I presume you mean something from the other side of the wall, and not the shower arm.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks