Replace pump or break in line?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Monica MacLeod, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:11 AM.

?

What should I do?

1. Replace pump

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Look for input line hole

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Monica MacLeod

Monica MacLeod New Member

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help. I noticed in the a.m. that pump was running continuously. Pressure gauge hovering at 50 and not reaching cutoff around 53. Caught early; pump not hot to touch. Closed off pressure tank and line into house, but no change. Then cut breaker to pump. Pressure dropped rapidly to zero and noticed small leak on input side. Repaired leak with supplies on hand and reopened pressure tank to supply water to pump. Pump starts but still holding basically the same pressure and not gaining. Opened line to house and flushed toilet. Pressure dropped as expected, but again, pump just holding that pressure with no gain. Turned off line to house and pressure tank. Pump continues to hold pressure but no gain. Turn off breaker to pump and again, pressure gauge drops rapidly to zero. Is it possible there is something wrong with the pump that would allow it to let the water flow back to well or is it more likely that there is a hole/crack in line somewhere? I would assume there should be a check valve on we'll head, but not aware if that is functioning correctly or not. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Don't close that valve to the tank. There should not even be a valve there. Close the valve going into the house and turn off the breaker. If the pressure drops, most likely the check valve is leaking back. Might have been doing this for a while, which is why your pump won't build but 50 PSI. Turn the pressure switch down so the pump can shut off, or turn off the breaker when you are not using any water.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Don’t you hate that, take a seat and no paper!

Retired
    I see a big problem. This is for domestic water for the home. That tee with the red handle on it with two garden hoses is a bad thing. There is no vacuum break at this fitting and contaminates can be drawn into the water for the home under the right conditions. You can get very sick if it happens.

What kind of well is it with only a 1” pipe? Do you know its depth? Do you have rust stains?