Replace PEX Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cclittle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of replacing my well pump (see that forum for discussion on GPM and PSI), but it got me thinking about the inside plumbing as well. I'm going to open up the copper stuff around the tank to 1.25", add CSV, etc). Actually, I could use some additional perspective there, so please pop over and have a peek! :)
My home was built in 2003, and uses 3/4" copper to the softener and 3/4" PEX after that. Yeah, I've read just recently that 3/4" PEX is like 1/2" copper, so this is why I'm asking...
There are no manifolds. The cold 3/4" PEX goes from the softener all the way down the length of the house (maybe 60-80'), branching off along the way for everything else - first water heater after 20' (which maintains 3/4" PEX, then running parallel to the cold water line for maybe 30-40'). Then the cold line branches to the laundry 1/2" about 10' past the WH, then another 1/2" to the half bath 5' past that, then 1/2" to the kitchen 5' past that, then at the end it looks like it takes the 3/4" upstairs to the two full baths (total of 4 sinks, 2 toilets, 2 showers, and a separate garden tub) . Of course, the shower my wife uses is at the absolute end of the line, so I hear all about water pressure when it's not 100% (which is pretty much all the time, as for some reason she seems to always start the laundry and dishwasher before she goes up to shower - I get it, I wouldn't do it that way, but it's going to be easier to upgrade the plumbing than change that).
My softener is about 3 years old and supports at least 1" connections, so I'm thinking I should just replace the 3/4" cold line with 1" all the way down to where it disappears upstairs - leaving the offshoots and hot line as-is.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
For most people, taking a shower uses much more water from the hot than the cold.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a long way to run 3/4" PEX and a lot of stuff off of it. They do make some nice 3/4" by 1/2" three outlet manifolds.
Normally you start at the end and start adding fixtures up and the pipe gets bigger at the supply end. Also, with a lot of distance, you start getting friction loss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks