Replace or repipe a water heater that was piped incorrectly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess about 1 in 50 homes I go to have softeners or filters of any kind in the main water system RO under kitchens are popular though.

I4k20z3

Reaction score
I4k20z3, any comment on my suggestion in post #2?

The corrugated connecting lines also come with push-on connectors at both ends. You can also get them with an inline valve.

we had a handy man come and he had suggested shark bites. The cost was almost the same as the plumber so i decided not to do it at the time and thought- if i have this done, id rather pay $100-150 more and have it done by a plumber.

i definitely would not feel comfortable at all attempting it myself. I googled it and it seems like it would work, but both the plumbers mentioned doing hard lines so i never gave the shark bites a thought after that .

I4k20z3

Reaction score
Put it in your buget to get rid of that misting humidifier it will rust out the duct work. Picture doesn't show which side of the furnace its on but it doesn't matter. A bypass humidifier is what you want. The expansion tank is easy to check. Tools needed a hose bib fitting and gauge $10-15, 0-100 lb tire gauge $10 and a bike tire pump. There are videos on utube.

funny, because we had an hvac guy come out and he had a hard time finding a bypass humidifier to fit in the small condensed space. our water heater and furnace are on the main floor tucked away in a small closet, so he recommended this mini mister as an alternative. We just had it installed this year. Is it really that bad?

I4k20z3

Reaction score
five years old? what's the warranty?
In most cases the anode wears out roughly at the warranty date.
But you can add a new anode to the plumbing work, and start fresh. The rod itself is $50 tops.

it’s still got a year or two for the warranty! would it be covered under warranty- is that why you ask?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well if your worried about the gas line being wrong. using flexes on the water lines to the tank connection I believe may be illegal in Chicago as well

Last edited:

I4k20z3

Reaction score
well if your worried about the gas line being wrong. using flexes on the water lines to the tank connection I belive may be illegal in chicago as well

got it, well that's good to know. i personally want it to be done the right way and up to code. that's the kind of way i like to go if at all possible.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
got it, well that's good to know. i personally want it to be done the right way and up to code. that's the kind of way i like to go if at all possible.
I get so used to my code that I sometimes think that going across a border into another town or state what's the difference?
Some places are lax on certain things and strict on others. if 100 million homes do it one way safely and legally then where is the harm ? perhaps wrong outlook.
That's Chicago style right or wrong !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks