Replace Older PP Kitchen Faucet with a new Moen One

Users who are viewing this thread

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am having a heck of a time getting a kitchen faucet off the sink. I am having a hard time getting anything around the main center nut and the smaller side nuts. Am I looking at having to get a large basin wrench for the main nut? The smaller side ones look to be on really tight too but it's hard to negotiate a pair of ViceGrips or anything in there to get those off. Any ideas on the best way to proceed? I've see a number of suggestion from Terry to just drill it out, but I'll admit I'm a little afraid to do that.

Attachments

• 20190115_164051.jpg
    20190115_164051.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 205

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
remove-sink-nut.jpg

Sometimes a small wrench, sometimes the basin wrench on the larger ones. And yes, sometimes I drill out the large nuts if they are stubborn.
Perhaps a socket set on the small ones if you can cut down the center rod some.

moen-118305-tool.jpg

Last edited:

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

I'll have to find a tiny tiny set of pliers for the outside ones. It's hard to see in the pictures, but they don't really seem to have sides. It's more of just a knurled nut situation it seems from what I can tell.

Looks like a trip to the hardware store for the basin wrench.

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
Basin wrench took care of the large nut and vice grips on one of the small ones The other small one won't budge so I think I'm going to have to try some PB blaster or something to get it to move I think.

NEOHMatt

Reaction score
Got it out. Liquid wrench and some elbow grease got the last of the three. That faucet has a lot of plumbers putty on it! My guess is that it's about 25 years old or so.

Now I'm trying got the new moen faucet installed. It's a 3 hole sink, so I have to use the wide place that covers the three holes. The moen faucet comes with a piece of plastic with a seal to go under they bracket, but for whatever reason I can't get it to lay flat on my sink. I am not sure if the sink is warped a little, installed a little funny, or if the bracket itself is off.

Any ideas on what I should do? I sure't can't be the first person to run into this problem. I thought about plumbers putty, but that would still allow water under the cover plate I would think. I also considered caulking but wasn't sure if that was the best idea either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've attached a picture of the gap. It's tiny, but water needs less than tiny to find its way in as we know.

y4mWGkTLvO4GtGJ02cadIxJN_GGBnUly6i3plKxV8_pR1aSQ9iV4m7xfVNdf0rAIffiyWusCbgIpr6AarUoi42eM9_TCOwphPZPCJz1Qen6znUawdgijXOnC-IfyHp92DUZI4N7qkM7JixtOMNl8NFvSNlgkxwjdXug-X8dP8TuDc-ruAklkEUV91yGtqjL5VFUzsUr4yaASbDprZcTH8JOFA

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks