Replace (Kohler?) bathtub faucet cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gtilma, Oct 14, 2017.

1. gtilma

gtilma New Member

I need to replace the cartridge in this bathtub faucet:

[​IMG]

I have done this with other fixtures but can't figure out how to get this one off. The handle unscrews and there is a screw down inside the post that I can loosen.

I have a suspicion that I need to get underneath it but I'm reluctant to do that because access is difficult (through garage ceiling).

Can anyone (1) identify the manufacturer and model, and (2) offer some tips on getting the cartridge removed? Any help is appreciated.

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    NEVER have to "open the ceiling, (or walls either for that matter), to repair a faucet. Usually, the chrome "dome" unscrews and the handle removes with it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Smythers

Smythers New Member

Without knowing what the make/model of that faucet it, I'm going to say you don't need to get underneath that faucet.

The base of the faucet looks like an escutcheon that sits flush on the horizontal surface. Just above that seems to be a decorative cover (see pic), and looks like it might slide up. If it does, I think you'll see what needs to be done. I'm guessing the vertical shaft is the retaining screw into the cartridge and *may* be reverse thread?

Could be wrong on that.

I've been wrong before... it was on a Thursday.

If you're still interested in the make/model of the faucet, can you give us any more information about it? When was it installed? Any markings on any of the other parts?

Attached Files: