Replace galvanized tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rookiekie

Reaction score
How do I replace a tee? Please see the pictures. The threads are corroded to the extent that I can potentially remove the tee without needing to cut the pipes. But I don’t know how will I put a new tee in. Should I cut the cast iron connection near the floor? I am not confident how to repair it, if I go that route. Do I replace it with a pvc pipe? Or can I still replace with a GI pipe?

The pipe coming down (stack vent?) seem to be supported above as it is freely hanging in the air as opposed to pressing against the tee. Do I need to support it further?

Thanks in advance for your help.
image.jpg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would cut 1/2 way below the tee and the fitting below and about the same distance above. PVC would be easiest for you. Use shielded 2 couplings. If you support the pipe you will never know if you had to. If you don't support the pipe it will become clear if it was necessary or not.

Rookiekie

Reaction score
I would cut 1/2 way below the tee and the fitting below and about the same distance above. PVC would be easiest for you. Use shielded 2 couplings. If you support the pipe you will never know if you had to. If you don't support the pipe it will become clear if it was necessary or not.
Thank you for the quick reply. Can you please suggest some ideas to support the pipe? One option I am considering is cutting the wall above and clamp the pipe to the stud. Since this is basement, I am not confident in the framing work. Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps something that can provide support using the concrete block wall?

Rookiekie

Reaction score
sure strap it to a block of proper thickness to wall
Will the strap provide enough friction to support the weight of the vertical run of about 8 feet? Also, the pipe is about 5” away from the concrete wall. Should I wrap the pipe with perforated plumber’s tape and secure it to the wall? It is a 1.5” galvanized pipe.

Additional info: I don’t have the ceiling open but I don’t think this is a straight vertical vent spanning across multiple floors. There are no other fixtures above this spot.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes make sure strap fits tight use a 2 hole strap and wedge a little something in there if you dont think its tight enough

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use a friction clamp (also known as a riser clamp) on the floor above.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
riser clamp great idea , he mentioned he could open wall above. I would prefer not disturbing walls above but if work needs done there thats a good idea

Rookiekie

Reaction score
Yes, I just got done repairing the ceiling. I would prefer to not open another drywall project. Also, I am assuming I would have to install the riser clamp right above the floor joists. But I am not sure if the subfloor will prevent me from doing so. Also, it seems like 1.5” riser clamps are not something big box stores stock locally. So would have to wait a few days for online order to arrive.

What if the pipe turns at 90 degrees right above the wall. Do I still need to support the vertical run?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't know how far the center of the pipe to wall is? Two - 4 hole unistrut clamps 4.125" off the wall with riser clamp sitting on them. Plumbing supply would have the riser clamp and L brackets. HD L bracket electrical dept. Mounting closer to floor that ceiling would stabilize the pipe better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks