Replace galvanized pipes in poured concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

edbradl

Reaction score
We have a 1947 Cape Cod with poured concrete bathroom floors on the first and second level. The pipes are embedded in the concrete. We had the upstairs bathroom remodeled first and only replaced pipes in the wall. But now that we are tackling the first floor bathroom, the contractor can see in the ceiling to the second floor and says the old galvanized pipes need replacing.

We have an old cast iron tub on the second floor that I'd like to keep, but the concrete is under the tub. Does anyone know of a way to cut out the pipes without removing the entire floor? I'm wondering if they could be removed from below. They are not fully encased in concrete, so you can see the corroding bottoms from the ceiling of the first floor.

Any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Directly replacing pipe in a slab is a major endeavor. But, it might not be horrible to just abandon them, and run new pipe outside of the concrete. Depending on where you are, the type of building, and local fire codes, you may have a choice of copper, pex, or cpvc. It won't hurt anything if they're just left in place after disconnecting them. Well, in a really bad situation, if there was constant moisture, the expanding rust could crack some things, but I don't think that will be an issue with the pipes.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second what jad said above. You can also find a way to plug or cap them and let them RIP.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
How/where would we run new pipes if we leave the old ones in place?

Any place you can...walls, crawl space, attic. It depends on your house, access, etc.

A plumber who is familiar with homes in your area might help. There are plumbers who only do re-pipe jobs, maybe you can contact one of them.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Any place you can...walls, crawl space, attic. It depends on your house, access, etc.

A plumber who is familiar with homes in your area might help. There are plumbers who only do re-pipe jobs, maybe you can contact one of them.
Can you run it just above the floor...if yes what if it line has to run across between two rooms ...i.e. you can not hide it?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't run pipes over floors.
Is there a reason you want to run a pipe over the floor?

Curiousv

Reaction score
I wouldn't run pipes over floors.
Is there a reason you want to run a pipe over the floor?
I am thinking of abandoning galvanized pipes which are under concrete slab and thinking of options of running new copper pipes.(I dont want pex)
and have flat roof so no attic ...so what are my options? I can run through rafters over the ceiling or walls or floor ..u said no to floor what else?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Run pipes behind a crown molding? Baseboard?

We have an old cast iron tub on the second floor that I'd like to keep, but the concrete is under the tub. Does anyone know of a way to cut out the pipes without removing the entire floor? I'm wondering if they could be removed from below. They are not fully encased in concrete, so you can see the corroding bottoms from the ceiling of the first floor.
Why not run your copper pipes in the same area where the pipes are visible above the ceiling of the first floor?

We have a 1947 Cape Cod with poured concrete bathroom floors on the first and second level. The pipes are embedded in the concrete.
Poured concrete 2nd floor. Was that a popular construction method in your area then? Frame construction otherwise?

Curiousv

Reaction score
Run pipes behind a crown molding? Baseboard?

Why not run your copper pipes in the same area where the pipes are visible above the ceiling of the first floor?

Poured concrete 2nd floor. Was that a popular construction method in your area then? Frame construction otherwise?

This is only one floor house ...so I guess you are suggesting run pipes along baseboard/molding ..yes it is possible but
at one point there is a break between one room stops and other start...(or in other words if there is a door .) how will you run those pipe?_

Reach4

Reaction score
This is only one floor house
We have an old cast iron tub on the second floor
I missed the transition.

.so I guess you are suggesting run pipes along baseboard/molding ..yes it is possible but
at one point there is a break between one room stops and other start...(or in other words if there is a door .) how will you run those pipe?_
Trenching the slab would be the classic way. With slab on the ground, that should not run into structural problems. Guess you would have to potentially deal with wire conduit that is buried in the concrete. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks