Replace Copper with PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

samboski

Reaction score
We're remodeling our basement and have really good access to everything right now. One part of this project is replacing our 45 year old copper plumbing with PEX. We're on a well (hard water) and have been experiencing pinhole leaks in our potable plumbing system since buying the house almost 10 years ago.

While we have the access to everything (ceiling ripped down) I'm wondering if I should consider replacing the copper hydronic lines as well. We've never had a leak from the hydronic system except for one at an elbow fitting that was discovered right when we bought the house. Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Closed hydronic systems tend to have a pretty long life unless they have leaks and fresh water is added all of the time. Any minerals, dissolved gasses, etc., tend to get precipitated out or react (like say the oxygen rusting things) and that all ends once those are all used up. If you've not had issues with the hydronic bits, I'd not go to the expense of replacing it. If you ever do get a leak in that system, make sure to fix it as soon as possible to limit the amount of fresh water that needs to be added.

FWIW, there are some anti-corrosion, stabilizers that can be added to the boiler water that can help extend the life of things.

SShaw

Reaction score
I agree with the above comment about closed systems.

Normally it's not hard water that's corrosive. Normally it's water with low pH and low mineral content (soft water) that's corrosive. I have that issue at my house with a shallow well.

Replacing the piping with PEX only solves part of the problem. The corrosive water will still attack the pipe fittings, water heater elements, dishwasher, washing machine, faucets, toilet valves, rubber seals, etc. My water also erodes clothes in the laundry much faster than city water.

If your house is 45 years old, you could also have lead solder in the pipe joints. The corrosive water can leech lead and other metals into your water, which is bad for your health.

You can install an acid neutralizing system to address the corrosive water. I'd suggest you get a well company to test your water and see what they recommend. With the water analysis you can also get recommendations on here.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
We're remodeling our basement and have really good access to everything right now. One part of this project is replacing our 45 year old copper plumbing with PEX. We're on a well (hard water) and have been experiencing pinhole leaks in our potable plumbing system since buying the house almost 10 years ago.

While we have the access to everything (ceiling ripped down) I'm wondering if I should consider replacing the copper hydronic lines as well. We've never had a leak from the hydronic system except for one at an elbow fitting that was discovered right when we bought the house. Thoughts?

Is it possible that the potable pluming was done with lightweight type-L copper? If yes it's not surprising to see it developing pinhole leaks after being pickled for decades in constantly replenished highly oxygenated fresh water.

On the heating system side as long as it's not being over-pumped (which can erode the plumbing), and only flushed once per year (or even more seldom) it could go pretty much forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks