Replace brass overflow tub and drain pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

jcontradiction

Reaction score
Hi,
We just moved to a new house and noticed one of the bathroom drains is clogged up and the p-trap is too small for a drain auger(I have one stuck currently). There isn't much space to remove the p trap or bathtub drain. I was wondering if I could cut the brass overflow pipe and remove the stuck drain auger and replace the brass overflow pipe with a PVC/Fernco with wye after.

IMG_9920.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The top part of the overflow secures to the tee using a 1.5" slip joint nut and washer. That will unthread.
Or you could cut it and and use a coupling to reinstall or replace the top portion. They didn't give you much room there to work with. Sometimes the trap arm is longer and you can cut there and couple on a new tub drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks