Replace brass overflow tub and drain pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jcontradiction, Jun 20, 2021.

  1. jcontradiction

    jcontradiction New Member

    Jun 20, 2021
    We just moved to a new house and noticed one of the bathroom drains is clogged up and the p-trap is too small for a drain auger(I have one stuck currently). There isn't much space to remove the p trap or bathtub drain. I was wondering if I could cut the brass overflow pipe and remove the stuck drain auger and replace the brass overflow pipe with a PVC/Fernco with wye after.

  2. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    The top part of the overflow secures to the tee using a 1.5" slip joint nut and washer. That will unthread.
    Or you could cut it and and use a coupling to reinstall or replace the top portion. They didn't give you much room there to work with. Sometimes the trap arm is longer and you can cut there and couple on a new tub drain.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Similar Threads: Replace brass
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Washer replacement for 3/4" brass garden valve Apr 24, 2021
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Brass Threaded Overflow Plate Mount Replacement? Oct 16, 2019
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Tub overflow drain assembly broken? Polypropylene or brass replacement better? Sep 1, 2019
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replace leaky brass elbow on PVC pipe Sep 28, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Brass to Copper Replacement May 15, 2013

Share This Page