Replace brass overflow tub and drain pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jcontradiction, Jun 20, 2021.

1. jcontradiction

jcontradiction New Member

Hi,
    We just moved to a new house and noticed one of the bathroom drains is clogged up and the p-trap is too small for a drain auger(I have one stuck currently). There isn't much space to remove the p trap or bathtub drain. I was wondering if I could cut the brass overflow pipe and remove the stuck drain auger and replace the brass overflow pipe with a PVC/Fernco with wye after.

IMG_9920.jpg

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The top part of the overflow secures to the tee using a 1.5" slip joint nut and washer. That will unthread.
    Or you could cut it and and use a coupling to reinstall or replace the top portion. They didn't give you much room there to work with. Sometimes the trap arm is longer and you can cut there and couple on a new tub drain.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement