Replace a Carrier upflow furnace with Goodman unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix my old carrier GB1AAV042075AAJA upflow furnace, but not having a lot of luck. It was humming and not starting, so I replaced the capacitor. It starts up now, but only burns for a few minutes. I've cleaned the flame sensor many times over the years, maybe too many, so I ordered a replacement. If that doesn't work I'm not sure how much more money I should put into this old furnace. It is an 88000 btu model with a date of 1992 on the label (not sure if that is the manufacture date). I don't know if it would be worth it to try replacing the blower motor and squirrel cage on a furnace this old, and I wouldn't want to replace the control unit or burners.

If it's not worth trying to fix this old one, I want to replace it with another unit that is as close to this one as possible, a 17.5 x 28 x 40 upflow unit of 88-90k btu, 80% efficiency model just like the old one. Problem is they don't seem to sell carrier furnaces to the public. Lowe's and Home Depot sell MrCool and Royalton, and some sell Goodman. I've never heard of royalton or mrcool, but a few AC guides I've read say that both Carrier and Goodman make good quality basic model furnaces. So is Goodman a good choice to replace the old carrier unit?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes.
Past January I replaced an old Lennox with a Goodman because it matched in size and BTUs for an easy fit.
It was a single stage, 80% efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks