Replace 4" C.I. or leave it alone ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have posted on here a few times about the old 2 family home I have.....One side is unoccupied and the walls were removed and I exposed the 4" C.I. drain line. It has one vertical stack and then a horizontal branch that serve 2 bathrooms that are back to back on the second floor. It's worked fine for the 40 years I've lived here. Once I opened the walls and removed the toilet on the vacant side.....I realized that the horizontal branch is pitched away from the vertical stack it connects to 5-6 feet away. Waste water does not drain from the lead closet bend on the unoccupied side. That is the fixture furthest from the vertical stack. I assume that the force of the toilets flushing had pushed most of the water and solids to the vertical stack but it appears some water flows back to the closet bend. I could replace the branch completely but I think I could also just replace the closet bend with a PVC bend and a donut into the C.I. hub. As I said it worked fine for the nearly 40 years I've lived here and both sides were occupied all that time.....I would have to remove the toilet on my side. I would also have to remove a good part of the celing below for access to the drain pipeing for the tub and sink. They are galvanized and have no proper vent leaning me more toward doing the entire job.......The house was built in 1955......I was wondering what the pro's think??

replace_lead_bend.jpg

An ABS closet bend into a cast iron tee using a rubber donut

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Some settling of your house may have occured...

Sometimes these are easier to solve with a few jacks in the basement.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I wish it were that simple but it is not. I have added a structural wood beam and column and jacked up the floor over 1-1/2" but the sagging was not in the area of the drain pipe. Plumbing, framing and electrical were all done equally poor LOL. The horizontal 4" C.I. branch is squeezed in where the floor joists are only 2x8's. There is very little room height wise. The connection to the vertical stack is with a santee and that looks like it was set to high relative to the branch. All the lead and okum connections were done nicely and nothing leaks so I wonder how the heck the improper pitch deal slid by in 1955?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks