Repiping Behind Cabinets?

Users who are viewing this thread

bfr57

Reaction score
Have a project house with poly pipes and going to repipe in PEX. My question with this project comes to getting water to the kitchen sink. The cabinets are situated in a "L" configuration with the sink on the portion of "L" coming off an exterior wall. So, the sink isn't on a wall. There is plenty of room in the back of the base cabinets on the exterior wall that nothing would interfere with the new lines (shelves, drawers) if I ran them through the sides of the cabinets without having to cut the backs to get the lines into the wall. One other issue is I would have to span the back of the stove opening also. Is it OK to do that? I also thought of running the PEX in PVC for protection if needed. I will have this permitted and inspected. Hope that all makes sense!

Reach4

Reaction score
If I were going to sleeve 1/2 inch PEX in that situation, I would use 1 inch EMT (metal conduit) with appropriate bushings at each end to prevent chafing. Do smooth the insides of the conduit before putting the bushings on. I have run 1/2 inch pex thru bent 3/4 emt, and it was very tight. Deburring was harder. 1 inch would be easy.

Mliu

Reaction score
Is it not possible to come up from under the floor? How are the existing poly pipes routed?

Houptee

Reaction score
When you pass behind the stove you could cut away the drywall and a bit of each stud with a mutitool (cheap at Harbor Frieght like $20 with the coupons) to recess the pex flush with the drywall and then get a piece of flat steel and screw it to the studs to protect the pex from damage or heat from the stove then bend the pex into the back of the cabinet and run it over to the corner sink thru the rear of the cabs. 1/2" Pex is 5/8" OD.

bfr57

Reaction score
Is it not possible to come up from under the floor? How are the existing poly pipes routed?

No, that won't work as it's a full concrete foundation slab. The current come in from main and go up into attic and branch down through the walls. This kitchen is the branch that's the hardest with the cabinets. Now we did decide to R&R the countertop, so I might just remove the cabs, run pipes in the wall and reinstall the cabs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks