Repairing water supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

tom_philly

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums.. Hello :)

I have a couple of questions regarding my 3/4" copper water supply line. The supply valve before the water meter in the basement is leaking, so I need to turn off the water at the curb and replace it. While I'm doing this, I would like to re-position the water meter.

IMG_20190914_113142.jpg IMG_20190914_110959.jpg

- I was wondering about the pipe configuration around the water meter. Is this an expansion loop?
- If I switch to PEX in-and-out of the water meter, do I still need an expansion loop?
- Separate but related question - I'm going to use 1" PEX to the manifold to maintain the GPM, but using 3/4" PEX would be simpler. Would you just use 3/4" PEX, or would you be concerned about the reduced flow rate?
- I'm in Philly - does anyone have any pointers on turning off the curb valve and curb key size? I can't see to the bottom of the hole (though I was only using a phone flashlight) - should I stick a shop vac down there first to get the detritus out?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you turn off that valve, and open your lowest faucet, does the leaking stop?

If that is a globe valve,as discussed here, you may not need to replace the valve. Instead, you could loosen the packing nut, and add packing around the stem. Then tighten the packing nut. In fact, it is possible the leaking could stop by just tightening the packing nut a tad.

For packing, I like the PTFE packing cord to add to the existing packing. Others prefer the type with graphite. Wrap a few turns around the stem, and tighten the nut. You may or may not have to remove the knob. I am not a plumber. If something goes wrong, sorry.

The picture below does not show a packing nut. But notice that the water should not squirt out if the valve is closed, even if the packing nut is off.

330px-Globe_valve_diagram.svg.png

This one does show a packing nut:
Globe+Valve+HPT+H+Revision+0+Page+5+of+27.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never heard of an expansion loop for that situation. I think they were just trying to keep the water meter horizontal.
The inside diameter of 3/4" copper pipe is .75" the inside diameters of pex 3/4" are .68" and 1" is .87" copper is right in the middle.
Theirs a couple different ways to repipe that.
You'll probably need a curb stop key to shut the main off. you can buy one at any hardware store

Attachments

• 367-4293_1.jpg
    367-4293_1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 543

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not try to hold up your water meter with PEX.

I think you probably should have permission from your water department before changing the piping on the input to a water meter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In some places, if you mess with the curb shutoff and there's a problem, it can cost you plenty.

Pex, if exposed to sunlight, will be damaged by the UV. If outside and exposed, critters tend to like to gnaw on it sometimes, too. Well, it can happen inside, but the hope is you've kept them out!

I do like the features of pex, but you need to understand its limitations and characteristics about when and where to use it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Where I live, the curb stop and the meter both belong to the utility. If I need to replace a main shut-off, I call them to turn the water off to the building. If they run into problems with the curb stop, they have to fix it. Many of our water lines are 8' deep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks