Repairing Steam Pipe Return

Users who are viewing this thread

JaCkaL829

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding repairing a black iron 1.5” steam pipe return. What would be the best/easiest way to repair it? One of the pipes that threads into the tee has begun leaking, I’m assuming the pipe corroded since it’s at the lowest section of the steam boiler. Unfortunately, the area the repair needs to take place has minimal space to work on between a wall and the boiler itself. I know the pros and cons of repiping it with black steel, or copper. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to use a no hub coupling further up the line? This would allow me to make a clean cut in the black, and repipe with prob new black pipe since it’s cheaper. From what I’ve seen it’s incredibly difficult to unthread black pipe this old and rusty. I’ve been applying liberal amounts of PB blaster and heat, and not really going anywhere. Any help on the topic would be appreciated. Pics for reference, don’t mind the copper header, I regret having my plumber install it that way, but I was young and didn’t have time to research it as it broke in the middle of the season.

14E63EBF-CB44-4A9B-9AB7-3148B1079C2C.jpeg
5ADD5354-A0A7-4DF5-94D7-2872C6D0F382.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No you absolutely cannot use a no hub coupling on a condensate return for a steam boiler.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dresser coupling is not considered permanent. Consider re-piping so their are no joints behind the boiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks