Repairing Screw Hole in ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Carlos Seneffi

Reaction score
REDWOOD and I agree.:)
I had a leak develop in the pipe from our well - 1" ABS !!
I cannot find 1" ABS fittings anywhere!
So, I cut a PVC slip fitting pretty much as shown (except I cut at an acute angle so it would slip slide around the ABS easier) and used green transition cement from OATEY and secure the repair with a SS Hose Clamp. It has served us well for many years, so . . .

I have since been advised that CPVC fittings are much closer (in diameter) to the ABS than PVC and MAY (with enough PRIMER and CPVC Solvent) slip onto the 1" ABS pipe (that has developed another teeny tiny leak) I need to address.

I may just try the same approach with a CPVC fitting.

I wonder how many teeny tiny leaks there are in the hundred feet of this ABS buried underground between the house and our well! It runs under our deck!

I'm thinking about a 1" CPCV Compression coupling to transition from ABS to CPCV because, if I CUT the existing ABS and cannot glue a fitting to it I thought I'd need the Compression fitting to allow me to continue to draw water from the well. Cutting it is a scary move and a definite commitment!

Thought to share the LEAK LOCATION TRICK I used because I cannot see where the leak is coming from (old eyes, poor lighting and cramped corners) along with a picture of the OLD REPAIR mentioned above.

DSC00375.JPG
DSC00374.JPG

Any info on here to locate a 1" ABS to NPT Thread fitting?;)

Fitter30

Reaction score
Plumbers epoxy is like clay hotdog cut a piece off and need it to mix. Had good luck with it just ruff up the surface sold in plumbing dept. Smooth it out with a wet finger.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had a leak develop in the pipe from our well - 1" ABS !!
Using ABS for pressure pipe is weird!

So, I cut a PVC slip fitting pretty much as shown (except I cut at an acute angle so it would slip slide around the ABS easier) and used green transition cement from OATEY and secure the repair with a SS Hose Clamp. It has served us well for many years, so . . .

I have since been advised that CPVC fittings are much closer (in diameter) to the ABS than PVC
Nope. ABS and PVC are both iron pipe sized. CPVC is copper pipe sized, which is smaller. One inch PVC and ABS are 1.315 inch OD, and one inch cpvc is 1.125 OD.

I would replicate your older green transition cement patch if you cannot update your piping to be rid of the ABS under pressure.

Is this a basement? -- not that that matters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks