Repairing concrete after shower drain repair

Users who are viewing this thread

NickT

Reaction score
Recently had to have a plumber company to come out and stub up a new pipe for a shower install project due to not being able to use existing pipe as it was previously improperly installed. I currently have the concrete on my slab open and was curious what the common practice is repairing the hole. It has been backfilled with pea gravel already and will be installing moisture barrier. Had a concrete guy come by and he said all he needed to do was to fill in the spot and trowel it back out smooth with a box out around the pipe. I've heard some say about adding rebar dowells to tie the old with the new but he said it was not necessary but he would if it was in a garage with more load weight. The slab I have is 4". I am capable of doing the concrete myself but no more than the guy wants it's easier for me to have him do it for not much more than materials would cost me.

PXL_20210713_192711941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What the shower receptor plan? [Could affect how sturdy you need the patch to be.]

And if you aren't going to retile the walls, what is the wall waterproofing system and how do you plan to tie that into your new receptor waterproofing?

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Concrete alone is plenty. Depending on the floor type, all tile you'll want usually cement right up to the pipe to support the tile.

NickT

Reaction score
We are going back with a pre sloped pan and doing acrylic walls all the way down to the pan. I may just be over thinking it, the installer said the reason for the box out is so he doesn't have to chip back out to fit the drain properly when he I stalls the drain. The concrete repair will just be flat to match existing slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks