Repair shower drain from the top?

Users who are viewing this thread

milk

Reaction score
Hey all,

The shower strainer in one of my showers was not attached, so I was looking for ways to repair it. Under the strainer was a pipe surrounded by a bunch of gunk/silicone/putty(?) that was getting wet, so I started worrying about potential leaks.

I initially thought I would be able to repair with Wingtite, but as I started removing the gunk I realized that Wingtite is not a solution. I saw that I could potentially use a Wedge-Lok to fix this, so wanted to seek advice. FWIW I've reached out to few plumbers and through the photos they've all said that they need to tear the walls from the floor below, which is really costly and would still require me to do the patching / repainting myself.

1. Is the rubber gasket method like a Wedge-Lok a viable solution? And if so, can this be done all from the top? How would I clean the rest of the putty/silicone, as some of it is stuck on the walls pretty good.
  2. The pipe itself is misaligned. It's off-center and angled slightly so that one side of it is actually higher than the shower floor, preventing me from putting a drain cover back on. What's the easiest way to fix this (again, without cutting holes into my drywall if possible)?
  3. I've seen a couple of posts with people using rubber gaskets, but I haven't seen how they attach a drain cover/strainer on top afterwards. What's the best way to do this?

I'm pretty new to all of this, but would love to be able to DIY if possible. Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 388
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks