Repair/replace/update old cutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Modrob

Reaction score
Mom's neighbor, low income, has a very run-down house with lots of problems. (Most likely terribly expensive)
Basement has an old shower area that the late husband plumbed in two general cutoff valves, in to a T-fitting, which a plain pipe runs up the wall and bent out to form a downspout. (No showerhead, just an old corroded bushing termination)
Anyhow, it’s dripping from the end pipe. I pulled the stems out and they are plain tapered brass(?) cones that fit into a brass seat. (I can’t tell if removable or not) I cleaned them up best I could but it seems now it’s dripping more. I’d like to replace the whole assembly but with my luck I’m afraid it would turn into a big ordeal. It’d be nice if I could “repair” the stem area with maybe a new one (if available) but I’m guessing the “seat” it seals against may not be good enough, so I’d have to replace it all anyway.
Other than the obvious “just rip it all out...” is it possible to repair these valves? Again, this is a very old house, in bad shape, and I believe most of the piping is ancient as well. Truthfully I’d like to see her call in a pro, but she cannot afford it...
I’ll attach a pic or two...

Attachments

• 26EB0EA6-610C-4402-B0A2-C39A6D1C0FE5.jpeg
    26EB0EA6-610C-4402-B0A2-C39A6D1C0FE5.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 0158E18C-7BA4-472C-B95E-52B5CB12FBE6.jpeg
    0158E18C-7BA4-472C-B95E-52B5CB12FBE6.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 152

Modrob

Reaction score
Is you could find the correct reseating tool you'd be in luck.
Thanks John...I wish now I’d tried to get a pic of the inside (seat area) of that valve—So I take it one would have to “resurface” that seat? Best I can remember, it didn’t look like it was removable, but again in such bad shape don’t think I could see it if it was...
Looking like replacing the whole setup is likely huh? Ouch...

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The valve is a globe type meaning it has a washer

If you cant remove the seat replace the washer with a Beveled type as they can be compressed and may fill the hair line voids in the seat .

There is a tool to file the seat slightly to remove the slight imperfections of the seat

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyhow, it’s dripping from the end pipe.
You have a closed ball valve (red lever) that also should be blocking flow out of the downspout, which is what I think you are talking about when you say "end pipe". If you mean something else, clarify. Best case you mean it is dripping from the stem that mounts the handle, because that should be an easy fix.

Anyhow, it’s dripping from the end pipe. I pulled the stems out and they are plain tapered brass(?) cones that fit into a brass seat. (I can’t tell if removable or not) I cleaned them up best I could but it seems now it’s dripping more.
If you cannot see a screw on the tip to allow you to change washers, see if you can post a closeup of this cone area.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pictures are blurry on my phone, but there should be a union somewhere in this assembly. Or a left right nipple to allow disassembly. I don't think it's worth keeping. Do people use it to shower? Your getting a cross connection with that setup as is. I think i would cap the hot and cold lines at the wall and call it a day. If it needs reconfigured or could be done from that point forward.

Modrob

Reaction score
You have a closed ball valve (red lever) that also should be blocking flow out of the downspout, which is what I think you are talking about when you say "end pipe". If you mean something else, clarify. Best case you mean it is dripping from the stem that mounts the handle, because that should be an easy fix.

If you cannot see a screw on the tip to allow you to change washers, see if you can post a closeup of this cone area.
Thanks Reach4...yes the ball valve surprised me, as it would not completely stop the dripping from the “downspout” (I couldn’t think of that word yesterday—my aging has me forgetting more and more words lately.)
There isn’t a washer on the end of these stems, nor a screw, but instead it looks like a beveled brass cone, that fits inside the round seat. I wire brushed both but it didn’t seem to help.

Modrob

Reaction score

I put it back together temporarily until I can get back (about an hour away) and get back in to it. I didn’t think to get a pic of the stem—I’ll get one...
I’m a jack-leg at just about anything I dive into, but this setup was worse than anything I’ve come up with over the years, so I think I’m going to rip it all out and put in a utility shower valve assembly, and just run braided hoses to it.
This is the lady’s only shower—the main bathroom upstairs has major problems, too much for me to deal with.

Modrob

Reaction score
The pictures are blurry on my phone, but there should be a union somewhere in this assembly. Or a left right nipple to allow disassembly. I don't think it's worth keeping. Do people use it to shower? Your getting a cross connection with that setup as is. I think i would cap the hot and cold lines at the wall and call it a day. If it needs reconfigured or could be done from that point forward.
Thanks John.
There is a union in the left side. I’m having my sister who lives next door spray all the threads with penetrating oil over the next couple days to aid in the tear down.
Yes, it’s her only shower as the main bath has major problems...and “cross connection”? I’m not sure what that means...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks