Repair parts for toilet from the 1930s

Users who are viewing this thread

titletownplumbing

Reaction score
I have a customer who is wanting to keep the original toilet from the 30s. It works but needs tank to bowl gasket and flush valve gasket. Flush valve attaches to tank with a single bolt through the center of it which continues through hole in bowl and is secured by a single nut and washer. The tank to bowl gasket creates a seal directly with the tank. The tank has Randolph USA stamped on the bottom of it. help with a parts break down and any recommendation on where to get parts would be appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
HJ might have some answers for you... I'm not old enough...
A picture of the inside of the tank may help...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
but needs tank to bowl gasket and flush valve gasket.
JC Whitney does or did sell gasket material that you can cut to size.
The problem is, is Whitney's material of the same mechanical compliance [softness, resilience] that you need? Adding several layers will increase compliance and you can cut them to size with an Exacto knife.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you're asking for a real headache. It is unlikely that you will be able to find the proper parts for a 75 year old monster, and if you try to cobble something together, it will probably not work well, but the customer will keep calling you back. When you finally tell him you can do anything more, you will be the bad guy. My advice to you, free of charge, is to politely tell the customer that it impossible to find parts and even if you did, it would be far cheaper to buy a new toilet that would perform. Ask him if he still drives a 1935 automobile, or uses a 75 year old washing machine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is probably the same as the Case toilet from the 50's. Some had the bolt all the way through the bowl, and others used a "toggle" bolt to attach the tank. But as far as parts are concerned, I don't know where you would still find any. About the only Case parts still listed are for the one piece units. Plumbmaster 1-800-523-5130 might be able to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks