Repair or replace Rainsoft EC4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yodasfather

Reaction score
Good day,

I have an EC4 twin tank 50000 installed 2013. Paid 4K with the ultrfiner ii ro system. I’m on city water with hardness of 12, no iron, 3 ppm chlorine. I have never had a problem with the unit. I have also never had the unit “serviced”. For some reason, Last week I decided I needed to clean the resin tank, which I had never done.

My problems started right after I added the salt back to brine tank and did a manual regen. The brine filled up with water and never went down. It also started leaking from somewhere above the injector. Water seems to running in the unit non stop (I could hear is in the head, but brine tank did not continue to rise. I just bypassed the unit to quit wasting water.

My questions are, should I call Rainsoft, or should I replaced the unit? The reason I ask is because, since I never had it serviced, will Rainsoft refuse to honor the Lifetime Warranty? Will I need to replace the resin beads soon, is a RAINSOFT service call going to be so expensive I could get a new Fleck 5600 or o e of the more efficient u it’s that uses less salt and water?

Rainsoft quoted my 280 to replace filters on the RO system so I just bought a new Homemaster Artesian for 400. The Homemaster is supposed to be approximately 1 to 1 waste.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• BA4BEE32-4076-4B93-8711-50DEFCEFD209.jpeg
    BA4BEE32-4076-4B93-8711-50DEFCEFD209.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 488

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Just an o-ring, should be a very inexpensive fix. That o-ring is about $1.

Most "Lifetime" warranties only mean that the system will be repairable, at your cost for the life of the unit.

Sounds like a bad seal inside the valve, again, a relatively minor repair. Call them and see if they can quote you a reasonable repair price.

Watch out for the online pricing of softeners, most of these are the lowest priced components and many have a fake Fleck valve on them. Liability, damage claims etc are often not covered when a catastrophic claim is processed, the repair bill can be left completely up to you, ie: flooded house, etc. I was recently hired to consult on a claim from another company, over 100K in damages. Blown tank, the tank manufacturers response was basically "haha, were in China, come sue us...".

Yodasfather

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I called RSOFT. I was pleasantly surprised! They came out and I had a broken piston and some worn seals. They replaced my carbon tank and fixed the unit for 299. That’s pretty reasonable to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks