Repair or Replace Frozen Yard / Frost-Free Hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
The forecast said 37, and I shouldn't have believed it... got down to 27 and the yard hydrant fractured.

I'm not sure the age of this one (probably 80's), and the supply line is likely at least 3-4' down... most likely not the sanitary design.

Is it easy to locate parts and repair the head, or am I better off digging and replacing the whole thing? I'd have to upgrade to the one with a reservoir if I did that and it ties into the main copper water supply line before the house, so replacement may not be so easy.

Thanks!

yard_hydrant_1.jpg

yard_hydrant_2.jpg

Last edited:

Rossn

Reaction score
The forecast said 37, and I shouldn't have believed it... got down to 27 and the yard hydrant fractured.

I'm not sure the age of this one (probably 80's), and the supply line is likely at least 3-4' down... most likely not the sanitary design.

Is it easy to locate parts and repair the head, or am I better off digging and replacing the whole thing? I'd have to upgrade to the one with a reservoir if I did that and it ties into the main copper water supply line before the house, so replacement may not be so easy.

Thanks!

View attachment 82803
View attachment 82804
I was able to get parts directly from Simmons for about $85 delivered, with all new wearable parts and top side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks