Repair Leaking Pull Out Kitchen Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

BarbD

Reaction score
Novice here would appreciate any help on repairing a leaking Kohler pull-out kitchen faucet.

The faucet leaks a bit from under the handle. I've removed the handle and the flange (?) to expose the top of the cartridge. I removed a small screw from the top of the cartridge and tried to pull it out, but something -- a clip maybe -- is holding it in. I've tried to pull the whole sleeve and attached spout up off the unit to see if there is a clip underneath, but it stops after about half an inch. It feels like the hose from the pull out spout is preventing the whole thing from coming off, but not sure that's the case.

So the cartridge won't pull out and the sleeve/spout won't pull off, and I can't reach any rings. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

BarbD

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. Here's a picture:

FaucetPicB.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
you remove the weight and then unfasten it from the bottom of the faucet. How you do that depends on which of the many possibilities they use to connect it.

BarbD

Reaction score
Thanks to your guidance, I was able to disconnect the hose and remove the sleeve and attached spout, but am stumped as to how to remove the cartridge. I can't find a clip. Here's a picture -- thanks for any suggestions!

Kitchen Faucet C.jpg

BarbD

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I was thinking that and tried to take it off, but the whole unit turned with it. Think it's ok if I wrap a pair of pliers in a towel and grab the tapered area in the middle to hold it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Think it's ok if I wrap a pair of pliers in a towel and grab the tapered area in the middle to hold it?

You can put pliers on the brass body. That is all covered anyway when you slip the faucet back over it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The spout should have a "stop" built in so it can only rotate so far. Move it to the left hand stop, then hold the spout while you remove the "locknut". It looks like a Pfisterfaucet model.

BarbD

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and HJ. I managed to unscrew the nut and pulled the ceramic cartridge out. I took it to two plumbing supply places and neither had ever seen it before. Am posting picture on the off chance someone might recognize it. All plastic housing except for the metal post.
Thanks again for your help.

Ceramic Cartridge Pic.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I think I might know what it is but I would like 3 more pics. One of the spray head,one looking down into the faucet and one pic of the handle.

Thanks!

BarbD

Reaction score
Thanks for offering to help!

I put everything back together again so I could use the sink, and also hoping that once I cleaned off all the scale the leak would be gone, but it was still there.

Here's a picture of the entire unit. We moved here about 10 years ago, so am guessing it's about 15 years old, give or take a few years. You can see the water leaking from under the handle.

Faucet pic.jpg

BarbD

Reaction score
Sorry to move this back up, but wanted to give it one more shot. Anyone recognize the faucet and/or cartridge?

Had to turn the water off because the leak was so bad, so if I can't find a replacement cartridge today, I'll probably buy a new faucet.

Many thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It doesn't really look like anything familiar. And not having a name or brand on it is really confusing. You may need to junk it and find a new faucet.
With the major brands, they offer a lifetime warranty on the cartridge. You will be able to call their 800 number and get a replacement through the mail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks