repair external threads on shower spout

Users who are viewing this thread

nickyg

Reaction score
I have a shower spout in my stall shower that is simply a bent tube with external threads on the end. The threads are old and not in good condition. When I screwed my new shower head onto the pipe, using pipe tape, it still leaks. Can I repair the threads? Could I just use some kind of temporary sealant? pipe dope? Any suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Threads can be cleaned up with a pipe cutting die, but if the pipe is not in good condition, it would be better to replace the pipe. If the pipe is egged or rusted on the end, sealants won't do any good. Pipe dope might help with or without tape. If you use tape, be sure it's wrapped clockwise so it doesn't unwrap when you screw the shower head on.

nickyg

Reaction score
the pipe is definietly in very bad conditions and I cannot get it sealed using tape. I may try to use a die to clean the threads, but how would I replace it completly?? the pipe comes out of a fully tiled wall. Would I have to break up the whole wall to get to the spot where I would need to cut the line to install the new pipe?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This pipe is screwed in to an elbow behind the wall. What's screwed in will screw out. But, let's face it, you very well may do some damage to the tile in getting it out. Once out a new pipe can be screwed in. It's pretty hard to say specifically what you will have to do, but it seems clear the pipe must be replaced, so do what you have to do. Sorry not to have an easy, quick solution for you.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
my 11 cents

chances are you have a chrome escutchen plate around the gooseneck at the tile. new ones ,and goose necks are inexpensive. take a long heavy screw driver and insert it in the pipe end and counterclockwise, unscrew it out.

if hard to unscrew,here is a mechanics,frozen bolt trick :) tighten first, then unscrew. learned this from my neighbor,retired diesal mech. 50
years experiance. good luck tool :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

REmove the shower arm and install a new one, but most of the new shower heads seal with a rubber washer inside the socket, not by the threads or with any sealant on the threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks