Repair defect in sink hole with epoxy?

Users who are viewing this thread

SharkBitten

Reaction score
Hi. Today I swapped out a 20+ year old faucet and drain on my bathroom sink. When installing the new plastic pop-up drain, I noticed there was a defect in the drain hole. This defect is preventing the new gasket from properly conforming to and sealing the hole, causing it to leak.

I've watched quite a few videos with fixes using plumber's putty or silicone sealant. Both seem to work, but there are cons (I've read putty hardens, eventually cracks, and is not recommended for use with plastic; silicone makes it harder to remove once dry).

Rather than go with putty or silicone, what if I were to mask it off and fill the defect with some epoxy then sand it smooth? Would the epoxy stick? If epoxy isn't a good choice, is there anything else I might use fill the defect and craft a new lip on the drain hole?

Thanks!

Monosnap_2022-03-18_13-39-48.png

Monosnap_2022-03-18_21-15-18.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Going with an epoxy material (JB Welt) should work but first scuff up the porcelain for better adhesion. The old drain may have had the same issue but with a little trick of water is probably was never noticed.

SharkBitten

Reaction score
Going with an epoxy material (JB Welt) should work but first scuff up the porcelain for better adhesion. The old drain may have had the same issue but with a little trick of water is probably was never noticed.

Awesome, thanks. The local big box stores have both the Oatey Fix-It-Sticks and JB Weld's Waterweld in stock. I'll try one of those.

And yeah, I'm positive the old drain had the same leak. When I pulled it, there was a bunch of sediment caked in the threads that, after so many years, probably slowed the leak. The slip nuts on the tailpiece also had a bunch of sediment and crust on the top of it. And of course water damage on the cabinet bottom.

The old gasket was much thinner than the tapered gasket that came with the new kit and from the looks of it, was more easily tightened and squished to conform to the defect.

Monosnap_2022-03-19_10-05-13.png

Monosnap_2022-03-19_10-20-33.png

Last edited:

SharkBitten

Reaction score
Just an FYI...the Oatey epoxy putty worked very well to fill in the defect. I was able to lightly sand it in about an hour and gave it a full 3 hours to cure before adding the drain. I added a ring of silicone grease to the top and bottom gaskets that came with the kit, snugged it up by hand, and so far, I'm drip free. Thanks @WorthFlorida for the epoxy tip!

Monosnap_2022-03-20_11-28-20.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks