Renovating - Split Shower/Tub from original

Users who are viewing this thread

Charleston D

Reaction score
I am starting a new project in an old bathroom and would like to split the original tub/shower combo with a jetted tub and separate shower. I have space next to the original tub where a closet was which can fit a 36" shower unit and the jetted tub fits where the original tub was. My question is, how do I split the plumbing lines to be accessible to both units now or do I have to run a completely new set of pipes for the shower? And can the drain lines be combined? Also, can I install the shower right next to the tub with a 2X6 wall space between them? Weekend warrior needs help! :eek:

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
quote: My question is, how do I split the plumbing lines to be accessible to both units now or do I have to run a completely new set of pipes for the shower?
answer: it depends on many factors. Here in NJ you need a 2in waste line for the shower alone!

quote: And can the drain lines be combined?
answer: it depends on many factors. Yes under certain circumstances. It's called wet venting where you use the vent of another fixture as the drain of this fixture. In most cases you would wet vent the tub using the vent of the shower. Pipe size matters alot when doing wet venting.

quote: Also, can I install the shower right next to the tub with a 2X6 wall space between them?

answer: yes you probably can!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks