Removing Ty-seal from Cast Iron hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Newbie420

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to remove the broken piece and the rubber seal out of the hub? if so, what would be the best way?
End goal is to replace the broken cast iron piece with ABS

remove-tyseal-01.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try a big flat blade screwdriver tapped in vertically at the interface of the hub and rubber donut. Then pry.

Newbie420

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I guess both ways, if there isn't raised print on the pipe behind the bell, then cutting there works with the proper coupling. Check the OD of the cast, sometimes it's more of a copper size on the outside.
If removing the cast and donut from the hub, that involves some work. Normally I'm pulling a lead bend with a brass insert that I can cut and fold inward.

Newbie420

Reaction score
This is a bit of late update. I followed Terry's advice and it worked.
I left the rubber seal in there, and I used a 3" to 2" fitting to go over the hub. I was lucky that the hub fit perfectly to the 3" end of the fitting.
I took an identical hub to Ace hardware and fit check it to the fittings. Hopefully, this helps someone with similar problem.

IMG_2926.JPEG
IMG_2933.JPEG
IMG_2938.JPEG

Oldtimm

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but does anyone have any word on whether or not newbie420's solution is a good one? I am currently dealing with this exact same situation. Gut feeling seems to say that a reducing Fernco over the hub is not a good idea with broken pipe and an old donut in there.

That said, this would sure make my life one heckuva lot easier if this is an accepted method to deal with this. This will be an underground application.

Thanks all.

EDIT: I would of course be cutting the broken pipe flush with the opening of the donut with a sawzall if I went forward with this...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it looks ok best would be to cut hub off In my opinion and then as others mentioned grind off the bumps . Or better yet get rid of all that old stuff put new in . Kind of depends on how good is good enough I think its a relatively sound joint

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks