Removing Tub Enclosure

Users who are viewing this thread

I Need Help

Reaction score
We're moving into a house that has a sliding-door, metal-surround glass tub enclosure attached to the fiberglass tub. Can we have it removed or would we be better off just taking out the whole tub and replacing it without an enclosure? What are the pros and cons of removing it?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Removing the glass doors and their frame is going to leave damage (screw holes and possibly some discoloration) to the tub and surround uncovered and exposed, and that will be difficult/expensive to fix unless again covered by something. To get the nicest outcome, you will likely end up replacing the entire tub and surround, and your options there would be many.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Hubby is disabled and we will be installing a grab bar on the side of the tub. The track on the bottom could injure him if he drags a foot over it or slips and comes down onto it. It's also easier for him to maneuver if he has the entire length of the tub for getting in and out, rather than the half-size opening left by the enclosure.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Finally back online.

I probably didn't explain exactly what we're wanting to do.

We have a separate shower and tub. DH wants to use the tub as a tub, so needs the sides to remain intact. Just wants to remove the enclosure.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Here is what I have showing after the doors were removed, and there are also some screw holes in the walls of the enclosure. To save expense, the stain and holes could be covered with a thin moulding of some kind, but you will have to decide what you would like to do.

Attachments

• tubedge.jpg
    tubedge.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks