Removing toilet scale & deposits

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Sarg, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sarg

Sarg Enjoy Learning

Recently retired
    Our toilet is about 40 years in service and usually functions Ok.
    Occasionally we need a slight - gentle plunge to assist the evacuation.
    I noted a build up of scale ... best described as what appears to be a pebble type build up directly below the tank flapper.
    Now I'm seeking a hydrocloric acid type "delimer" ... such as Rooto 3 in 1 . ( Over $60. a quart )

Now I'm wondering what the experts here would recommend to dissolve this build up.
    I've tried distilled vinegar down the overflow tube without much success.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think you are saying that the flush valve seat, that mates with the flapper, has deposits. For that, you might try CLR, or even vinegar, soaked into an absorbent pad to sit there stuffed in the valve seat, in the dry tank, overnight. Phosphoric acid would be good too. Muriatic acid (HCl) gives off bad fumes.

A softener would prevent future hardness deposits, and would have other advantages.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sarg

Sarg Enjoy Learning

Recently retired
    Flush valve and seat are clear and functioning OK .... The deposits are only visible when you lift the flap and look in the cavity with a flashlight ...... the internals that can't be seen are my concern which is why I poured the initial attempt with vinegar into the overflow tube after dropping the water level in the bowl.
    There are dozens of different concoctions on the net with the hydrocloric acid .... wondering which has been the most successful for the experts.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021