Removing toilet, do i need a new wax seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

elwood2

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my toilet flushing (very slow, no gurgling/bubbling) and it has to be a restriction in the drain or the toilet itself is screwed up. I tried getting a drain snake down the toilet but the trap runs from back to front which, evidently is an awkward enough position to keep me from getting the snake very far in it.

My question is, before i start looking for a new toilet, i want to make sure the plumbing is clear and the only way to do that is to remove the toilet and run the snake through it that way.

Now, it's almost 11pm. Walmart is a 30 minute drive to get a wax seal. The wax seal is at most a year old. I know the smartest thing is to put a new one on but if i can save the trip with minor chances of it leaking then i'm willing to give it a shot.

What do you guys think?

P.S. It's been acting up for a few months now and yes, i've plunged it hundreds of times which almost never helped.

Last edited:

Stark

Reaction score
I'm not a professional, but I'd be hesitant to re-use a wax seal. What kind of toilet do you have?

Stark

Reaction score
There's no markings at all?

I wouldn't risk using the old wax and developing a leak. If you have wood sub-flooring it could cause dry rot over time, and then you're looking at a large repair. I'd invest the 30 minutes to drive and get a new one, and have peace of mind

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may come a shock to you, but Wal Mart is not the only place in town that sells wax rings. Any hardware store will have them in great numbers. You definitely must use a new ring to reset the toilet. The old one has been compressed and will not re-seal. Do not get the ring with the plastic funnel or horn. Just a plain ole ring is all that is needed.

elwood2

Reaction score
This may come a shock to you, but Wal Mart is not the only place in town that sells wax rings. Any hardware store will have them in great numbers. You definitely must use a new ring to reset the toilet. The old one has been compressed and will not re-seal. Do not get the ring with the plastic funnel or horn. Just a plain ole ring is all that is needed.

The point was that walmart was the only place open at 11pm. :p

I decided to wait anyway. Really hope i don't need a new toilet.

EDIT: I meant "PM" not "AM" in my original post. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, the greater question is the real problem that your toilet won't flush. I'm pretty sure you're right, it is a clogged drain. While not totally impossible to clear it with a hand snake, often these rather small snakes even if you can reach the clog will just push the clog deeper into the drain and packed it even tighter. What is almost always required is a professional drain cleaner than will have the size auger that will cut through the clog and clean the pipe clear to the street. BTW, never use caustic chemicals to try to open a clogged drain. They not only won't clear the clog, they will create a hazard for the plumber you end up calling.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet auger is designed to get through the trap of a toilet, and hand snake may not or if it does, you may scratch up things.

As noted, each time you reset the toilet, you need to replace the wax ring. There are waxless seals you can buy that can be reused - they use big, soft, O-ring to make the seal, and as long as that's intact, it should reseal. You can probably get 10 wax rings to one waxless in cost, but if you plan late night last minute repairs, they have their advantages.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks