removing rusty drain from antique sink

Users who are viewing this thread

peeler

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 1923 Kohler pedestal cast iron sink,, and having a bit of trouble
removing the drain pipe. There is rust between the pipe and sink body. I've been hitting it with spray oil periodically, tapping it with a hammer. I'm assuming the visible flange ring is attached to it permanently but not sure...
any ideas? would a little heat be effective, safe?

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried the sawsall would vibrate and chip the enamel as well. Any chance you have a dremil or a diegrinder/cutter? If you try the sawsall, use a good sharp blade....

A little heat would probably get it off, but like HJ said, it could pop the enamel. I think I used a diegrinder to cut the one off my antique clawfoot tub!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If you have the sink out just simply cut the drain off with a hacksaw as close to the underside of the sink as you can. Make sure you cut/pry off the nut holding the drain in place.

Good luck!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
saw

There is NO vibration from a SawZall that would damage the enamel. WE do it all the time. But you have to cut it off under the sink, not on top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks