Removing hardened caulk from behind pedestal sink/tiled wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Francisco

Reaction score
I am planning a bathroom update. The walls are tiled half way up. I want to remove the old pedestal sink which has hardened caulk attaching it to the tiled wall.

How easy is it to completely remove the caulk from the tile which is not being replaced? I am planning to use a vanity instead, and am not sure if I will need to get one which completely covers where the old caulk was, because I don't know if I can get it all off.

Thanks for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try single edge razor blades to scrape the caulk from the tile if that is glazed ceramic tile.

You can try the blade on an area that you know will be covered to make sure it does not leave a black mark. I would not expect a mark with glazed tile.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They could have used grout instead of caulk, and that might be harder to remove without showing.

Even if you get some dark metal marks on the tile, there are things that will remove it. What you can't remove are scratches. If it's grout, it may leave a mark that won't come out. When cement cures, it literally grows crystalline spikes that project into imperfections of the surface, and interlock themselves to provide the bond...even a glazed surface is imperfect at a microscopic level, and that is what provides the bond. Caulk is just a glue, but breaking the bond and buffing it out of the surface can be problematic. Tile normally doesn't fade much if at all, but it's possible, so that's something to look out for as well. Surface polish can differ from areas that have been exposed and cleaned verses areas that have been protected. Depends on the cleaning/wear history of the surface. On a wall, you won't have wear patterns in a glaze caused by foot traffic and grit being ground in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks