Removing Flange Ring in Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan the Man

Reaction score
I am replacing the drain in my Moen pedestal sink. The sink is still attached to the wall. I have raised the flange ring into the sink so I can grab it. Every tutorial instructs me to unscrew the ring. The ring turns but it does not detach. It just keeps turning. I have tried unscrewing it both clockwise and counter clockwise. The pipe holding the ring is not rotating so the ring should detach. Any suggestions? A lot of people seem to end up using hacksaws. If it comes to this, what kind? But I still prefer to just loosen the flange ring - which is already loose but it is spinning in place. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the drain assembly.
Some have thread off flanges, counter-clockwise to unthread, or some just drop down from the top, and require removing the washer, washer nut, and pop-up from below.

It could be that yours has been there a while, and needs more muscle.
A picture 800 pixels or less would be nice.

Dan the Man

Reaction score
I figured it out. The ring was permanently attached and could not be removed . I found a hidden coupler that could be unscrewed. This freed up everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks