Removing cast iron pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Bosco

Reaction score
Is there a "plumbing nightmare" thread? This would be my contribution. Most of this cast iron piping is from a defunct system and the remainder I am going to just tear out and replace. Everything in this bath needs to be moved anyway.

What's the best method of taking out the old cast iron. I just used my angle grinder to cut one old 1.5" vent and it wasn't easy.

IMG_0687.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use these for cutting cast.

diablo-steel-demon.jpg

Make sure what you are cutting is supported. It's pretty heavy stuff and will drop on you.
At some point you will need a clean cut to make up to.
A shielded coupling for that, and they come in different sizes. sometimes old cast is more of a copper sizing. For that I've used copper x plastic on the couplings. They also have some odd cast sizing and no hub sizing which is not the same as some of the old cast.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"Gas Powered Saw with a Diamond Blade if you have room."

GREAT idea

Use a gas engine indoors to receive the Darwin award (to your next of kin)

DW85745

Reaction score
Use a gas engine indoors to receive the Darwin award (to your next of kin)
Sylvan:
You're Correct, maybe should of gone further in my post and address the Safety issue of its use. Was just offering suggestion on the Cast Iron per OP. Didn't take his picture into consideration other than available spacing. My Bad.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ah Shucks I could have made a fortune .

Being an expert witness against the gas power saw company for not having a warning "not to be used in doors"

This against this list for giving erroneous advice and you of course for causing the demise of a DIY

In legalize it is called the shotgun effect .

Sue everyone and hopefully the weakest link will pay up .

Kidding of course

DW85745

Reaction score
That's what I love about America.
Anyone can sue anyone for whatever if they can find a hungry attorney.
Best to ALL the VETS on Memorial Day from another Vet.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
That's what I love about America.
Anyone can sue anyone for whatever if they can find a hungry attorney.
Best to ALL the VETS on Memorial Day from another Vet.

All this screwball lawsuits started when some old lady spilled hot coffee in her lap while sitting in a car (McDonalds case) After that some of the law suits are downright outrageous

Some lady slipped in a super marked on spilled liquid and won but what people did not know it was her son who spilled it from his bottle

A guy goes on a building to rob the store and falls through a skylight and sues as the glass was pained back and he didn't see it

There are thousands of these type of crap on the books of suits

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Kudo's to the plumbers who all they had was cast iron and galv. steel pipe to work with in incredible small spaces. I'm sure Sylvan installed tons before he got his licensed. Not DIY stuff. I see ABS mixed in and not one AAV.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
All this screwball lawsuits started when some old lady spilled hot coffee in her lap while sitting in a car (McDonalds case)
I'm pretty sure in this case McDonalds was serving coffee at around 190F or 200F, meaning that what would normally be a mild injury from a spill was a very serious injury. As I understand it, after the lawsuit McDonalds reduced the temperature at which they served coffee to a more reasonable level.

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in this case McDonalds was serving coffee at around 190F or 200F, meaning that what would normally be a mild injury from a spill was a very serious injury. As I understand it, after the lawsuit McDonalds reduced the temperature at which they served coffee to a more reasonable level.

Cheers, Wayne

I take my coffee light so it is is not extremely hot I would suffer with cold coffee

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I on another case 14 year old scalded temp coming out of the shower 192 DEG F YIKESSSSSSSSSSS

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne

I saw a interview on TV with this plaintiff and lawyer. Allot of it came under product liability. The problem was the women was seeking McDonald's to pay the medical bills and nothing else. She need repair surgery and skin grafts. It was McDonalds or the franchise owner refused any help and pretty much was laughing it off. So she had to go to court.
When I worked for Prudential Ins I obtained a casualty insurance license. That is homeowners and auto insurance policies. The bottom line is when someone gets hurt on a property for any reason other than malicious intent, the immediate medical bills is covered by the insurance company of that property. Long term care and pain and suffering payment is another issue. Something rarely known is your kid is playing in your neighbors yards and your kid accidentally breaks an arm. Your neighbors home owner insurance policy is responsible for the immediate expenses though you may have medical insurance. When you file a claim your insurance carrier will usually subrogate the other company.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your neighbors home owner insurance policy is responsible for the immediate expenses though you may have medical insurance. When you file a claim your insurance carrier will usually subrogate the other company.

I've always wondered what happened insurance wise when I broke my femur playing neighborhood tackle football at a friends home. It was my brother that tackled me, and I wound up in the hospital for six weeks. I think after that nobody played football in that neighbors yard. I was ten at the time. They don't really tell you much when you're that young, and you don't think of those questions until you get much older. I do believe my father had health insurance anyway.

Injuries at home are kind of strange anyway. Both my daughter and a niece of mine hurt their ankles stepping off their front walkways. At least one had the excuse that it was icy.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry

3 years I was called to disconnect a stove in a co op and I shut the gas cock, removed the flexi and put a 3/4" black plug in the valve as the lady said the appliance seller is not allowed to touch gas piping in NYC

She paid the service call of to disconnect

The next day a stove was delivered but it was to big to be installed in the same tight space and I told her I will charge her only 50% of the service call and she handed me a $20 tip I also pointed out the linoleum was cracked behind the stove and possibly she may want it removed before the new stove arrived she said its over 30 years old no problem

The new stove arrived and her husband called saying he paid the building super vto install the stove and he said he wanted a refund I said I was there twice and no way should he get a refund

He then said he is a lawyer and he will sue me I said go right ahead lets go to court then he said I made a hole in the linoleum said "Your a liar"

I called my insurance company and told them what happened they said they would settle out of course I said never happen

I gave him back 50% of the fee I charged and then called the appliance seller to chat with the owner

He told me the lawyer did call them and said he was taking them to court for ripping the linoleum and they sent him a check for $200 as he said it is the cost of doing business and he has a nuisance fund for calls like this

Under normal circumstances this lawyer would catch a severe beating but we are in a civilized country so we mark it up as a deadbeat account

The new case I was called yesterday is a 14 year old girl was scaled on her legs 4 years ago and the law firm was not happy with the other plumbers report and he lacked experience going to depositions or courts

I was being sued for a fire suppression system I never installed or had anything to do with or ever worked in that area or in the brand new building

The insurance company refunded over $160,000 saying they would not cover the claim against me and are dropping me and any claims that arise in the past 3 years I would not be covered for which I happily agreed to . Thankfully the 2 years have passed
After I was given a check and I said they are not responsible and I signed a release.

At the very first deposition the lawyers realized it was TIGER not TIEGER who installed the sprinkler piping and also it was reported the piping had a freeze up because the building owner refused to heat the common areas when he built the building

Sometimes the wheels of justice do work in favor of the innocent . Stupidity and bad faith insurance company got what they deserved

Some insurance companies are unscrupulous thinking "your guilty until proven innocent"

This picture is a 2 yr old burned on a hot water heating pipe.

The mother left him alone to meet her boyfriend (she said she went shopping)

Child services were called in but they had no place to put the child .

She was offered $175.000 and she said she wanted $500.000 the case went on for over 2 years the scars are totally gone she got ZILCH and neither did the law form who still owes me $2,200 which means I have to take them to court and notify the bar association CRAZY how the legal system works

The mother called my office and asked "what if my baby gets burned in the new place I am living" I said your gonna go to jail and hung up on her

Attachments

• Scar2.JPG
    Scar2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 208

Chuck Miller

Reaction score
I saw a interview on TV with this plaintiff and lawyer. Allot of it came under product liability. The problem was the women was seeking McDonald's to pay the medical bills and nothing else. She need repair surgery and skin grafts. It was McDonalds or the franchise owner refused any help and pretty much was laughing it off. So she had to go to court.

Unfortunately misconceptions about the McDonalds coffee burn lawsuit are cited as an example of a ridiculous law suits. If you read the facts of the case, you will see it was very justified.

As stated above, all she wanted was for McDonalds to pay her $20K medical bills. But after hearing the facts of the case, the jury decided to add the $2.7 million in punitive damages to motivate McDonalds to address this very common, on-going burn hazard (over 700 customers reported burns, plus thousands of employees burned from their way too hot coffee, and over $500K paid out in prior suits)

Here are the facts of the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Excerpt:
- Critics FALSELY claim Liebeck was driving at the time she spilled the coffee - Not true - her nephew was driving and he had pulled over and STOPPED while she attemped to add cream and sugar to the coffee.
- As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.
- She suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas.
- She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting and debridement treatments (removal of dead tissue).
- During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her down to 83 pounds (38 kg).
- She was disabled for an additional two years of medical treatment following the spill.
- She sought to settle her claim for just the amount of her Hospital bills, $20,000, but McDonalds refused, offering only $800.
- McDonalds requires its coffee be between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit. Scalding (capable of 3rd degree burns) starts around 140.
- Other establishments sell coffee generally around 135 to 140 degrees.
- McDonalds own expert testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above,
- and he testified that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.
- The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.
- McDonalds also refused to put "burn hazard" warnings on their cups.
- from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.
- Thousands of McDonalds employees have also been burned by the coffee.
- McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices.
- He argued that all foods hotter than 130 °F (54 °C) constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to warn about.
- The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served.
- The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill.
- The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee sales.
- The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 -- or three times compensatory damages (about 8 hours of coffee sales) -- even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks