removing brown stains on grout without acidic product (don't want to etch it)

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Just noticed that the 1966 shower tiles have a lot of brown stains in the grout. Got a product for stain removal but it says it might etch older tile, so I'd like to avoid using it.

Bigger project is fixing the areas where the grout has come off, in 1/4" to 3/4" long strips. The grout line is really thin; less than 1/8" so the standard scraper I can buy is too wide. But wider than a grinding wheel on a Dremel. Maybe I can find some sort of a burr with the proper diameter to fit the width. Can I then use sealer over both old & new grout?

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Try cutting a hacksaw blade into 3-inch segments. You can grip them with a visegrip type tool. I have also used a utility knife, but that old grout is probably too hard for that. ;)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Assuming the brown staining is rust, Super Iron Out does a good job for me and has not damaged the tile.

As for removing grout, the Fein tool gets good reviews.

fein_grout_removal.jpg

AcidWater

Reaction score
I'll try the Super Iron Out...

Actually I have the Dremel version of the Fine tool... haven't used it on anything yet. Wonder if there is a way to attach a fence to control the depth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks