Removing Arsenic for drinking water

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I need to clean the Arsenic out of our the drinking water. The well and system have been about 12 years. When I initially looked at the water, I only saw the old standard. Turns out I probably should have been filtering from the beginning. I just recently had the well tested for a few things, with the new standard shown. I have 0.008 mg/L. That is actually lower than what I saw when the well was new.

I originally planned for a possible small RO system with an Arsenic filter. Unfortunately, when it was way too late to notice it, the plumber did not bring the pipe for drinking water down to the mechanical room. So I just left the water alone. I think at the time I did not find a simple small Arsenic filter. Not actually sure that is true - long time ago.

What I am thinking at the moment to to put a filter in one of the bathrooms. The pipe that was supposed to supply filtered water is available in the two upstairs bathrooms and the ice maker. So, I can put a filter in one bath and connected it to cold water there. There seem to be a number of filters for Arsenic that get both III and V with a bunch of preprocessing.

I would appreciate some recommendations for the filter. One that appears to fill the bill is the Bayoxide E33. There seems to be a variety of proprietary sorbants out there; each the very best chemistry available. I have been searching, but technical details are quite frequently hidden behind pure marketing stuff on the manufacturers sites.

Expertise is needed.

Here are some other water parameters that may impact the implementations. mg/L unless marked otherwise.
From a recent minimal testing:
Manganese, Lead, Aluminum, Fluoride - none detected.
Cu - 0.015
Arsenic - 0.08
Chloride 33
Electrical conductivity 497 uS/cm
Estimated TDS from calculation - 333

From the original testing - I will probably have this set run again at some point
pH 7.8
Conductivity 407 uS/cm
Chloride 39
Alkalinity 180 CaCO3/L
Hardness 49 CaCO3/L
Calcium Hardness 31 CaCo3
Sulfate 29
TDS 280
Copper 0.014
Iron 0.02
Manganese 0.004
Zinc 0.005
Sodium 88 No units shown
Potassium 1.3 No units shown
Calcium Hardness 12
Magnesium Hardness 4.6
Arsenic 0.017
Barium, Cadmium, Chromium, Lead, Mercury, Nickel, Selenium, Silver - none detected

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What is your iron number?

I have a whole-house backwashing iron+H2S filter. While I did not get it for arsenic, it seems to be a bonus. My raw water tested at 0.006 ppm arsenic, and after the filter the level is under the 0.002 test sensitivity.

My filter uses Centaur Carbon, but I expect Katalox Light would do that similarly. The KL documentation says you have to have iron in your water also for the arsenic removal to work.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
OOPS, Iron 0.02

I really want to avoid a whole house filter. The Arsenic needs to fit under the sink in a bathroom.

I have a couple of problems with a full house system. It has the advantage of watering the veggies and other plants without Arsenic (particularly the food stuff). But: I have no where left to install anything the size of a water softener or getting pipes and a drain to it. And I am concerned about the ability to produce water during real dry spells so I don't want to waste water if I can avoid it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
POU Arsenic filtration is more difficult than most companies let on. Contact time, competing ions, and a multitude of water conditions all affect the performance of different medias for the reduction of arsenic. For the past 10 years I have been leaning toward titanium oxide based medias over granular ferric based medias. Check out Graver technologies for some data.
http://www.gravertech.com/pr_metsorb_info_03.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks