Removing and blocking off old tub

Users who are viewing this thread

CAHELP

Reaction score
I have a drop in tub and shower stall back to back on a slab foundation.

I have another tub in the house and want to remove the tub. I will assume because of their proximity that the drains are tied together under the slab.

How do I go about decommissioning the tubs drain? I dont want to cause odor issues later on? Blocking off the water supply is easy. Where and how do I cap it off?

I appreciate any help as even though I haven't participated I have used this site for reference many times.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
On slabs, usually the tub drain has no concrete around it. Maybe less than a square foot is usually blocked off so there is wiggle room when setting the tub and drain connection. both my Florida homes in two different counties were done this way. Depending on the age, either it is galvanized, iron or PVC drain pipe. Each has its own way to cap off. One way is stuff some newspaper into the old drain about 3-4 inches down, then spray foam it. After it sets up cap it off with a Fernco cap. Just don't overdo the spray foam where you can push the paper further down. If it is PVC, just glue a PVC cap on it.

2ZU15_AS02

CAHELP

Reaction score
I appreciate the help and I am trying to get pics as I just opened wall.

It looks like the 2 drains are connected as they are about 2' apart.

If is that easy I will just cap it off and cover it up. I thought it was a no to have a capped pipe covered like that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks