Removing a well cap/seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Marvison

Reaction score
Last weekend our well lost prime and would not re-prime. Prognosis bad foot valve.

Now I have the well head dug up and am ready to extend the well to above ground. However I can't get the old well cap off. The bolts are stripped/stuck in place. Reading around it sounds as though it's likely a seal meaning the bolts should only be loosened not removed. So before I make the situation worse I've got a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

It looks like the bolts push a rubber seal out against the inside of the well casing?
Most seals seem to be about 1-2 inches from the top of the seal to the bottom with about an inch in the middle being the rubber?

What happens if I drill the bolts out?
What happens if I get an angle grinder and cut about 3" below the well cap all the way around the well casing?
Is there any type of special tool you would recommend for getting the bolts out?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you remove the nuts, the lower plates can drop and trap the lines in the well. Loosen the nuts and work the seal with a wrecking bar, eventually it will come loose.

Marvison

Reaction score
I will need to get some pictures of it tomorrow. Too dark right now.

What is a good tool to loosen nuts when a standard socket won't work? I've just always drilled out stuck bolts.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is a good tool to loosen nuts when a standard socket won't work?
The wrong kind of socket has 12 points. That may be what you picture as a standard socket. I don't know if a good 6 point socket would help at this point, or one of the special removal tools is needed. Impact sockets are 6.point sockets for 6-point heads.

Sockets usually have chamfer (the tapered lead-in that helps guide the socket onto the the head). You may find some non-chamfer sockets. That gives the socket a little bit more to grip. Less chamfer is stronger. Impact sockets usually have a little less chamfer.

Fit. You want a tight fit. Sometimes you can get a nominally undersized socket onto a head.

This is not to say that those special removal tools are not your best bet. I expect they are.

EDIT: I presume you are planning to put in a pitless adapter. What diameter is your casing? Is this well cap in a pit?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What happens if I get an angle grinder and cut about 3" below the well cap all the way around the well casing?
You need to support the weight of the pipe and pump as you are nearing the end of the cut or it will pinch the cutoff wheel.

Marvison

Reaction score
Sorry for such a late response. Haven't had a chance to work on this in a few days so don't yet have pictures.

Going to Lowes today to buy a bite socket. Hopefully with that an impact gun or a breaker bar will get the darn things out! If not I guess this is a good excuse to buy an angle grinder!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks