Removing a Siezed Cleanout Plug

Users who are viewing this thread

OneGuyInCA

Reaction score
The square knob on my cleanout plug broke off. It broke off when I tried to unscrew it with a pipe wrench. The cleanout plug is made of some sort of fairly soft metal (possibly brass). What is the best way to remove the plug? Someone suggested making two cuts (quarter circle apart) all the way to the edge with a metal sawser.. and using a hammer to hammer it in, thereby collaspsing the plug??

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The square knob on my cleanout plug broke off. It broke off when I tried to unscrew it with a pipe wrench. The cleanout plug is made of some sort of fairly soft metal (possibly brass). What is the best way to remove the plug? Someone suggested making two cuts (quarter circle apart) all the way to the edge with a metal sawser.. and using a hammer to hammer it in, thereby collaspsing the plug??
That is the only way to get it out, have done it many times then install new plug when finished with your work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could drill a hole in it near an edge, then use a chisel and hammer to try to unscrew it, but cutting it should work, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks